Connect with us

Metro

Tokunbo cars to cost more from January 1

Published

on

Cars-on-display-360x225-300x188

Prices of imported used cars are expected to rise appreciably in the New Year as the Federal Government begins the collection of 70 per cent duty on second-hand vehicles imported into the country from January 1, 2015.

This is the second phase of the national automotive policy, which was announced in November 2013.

In a move to encourage local assembling of vehicles, the government had last year raised the import tariff on fully-built cars and used vehicles from 22 per cent to 70 per cent. The first phase of the policy involving the payment of 35 per cent duty came into effect in February 2014.

The second phase of the policy involving another 35 per cent increase of the levy, expected to take effect on July 1, 2014, was later postponed to January 1, 2015 after consultations with stakeholders.

Following the first 35 per cent duty increase on imported used cars, auto dealers at the Berger Yard Auto Market along the Apapa/Oshodi Expressway in Lagos reportedly reduced the number of imports by half due to a corresponding rise in the cost of imports.

Dealers, who spoke with our correspondent, said sales had been badly hit as a result of the implementation of the first phase of the policy.

When our correspondent visited the Berger Yard Auto Market on Tuesday, activities had considerably slowed down. Car dealers hanged around the various parks at the huge market and called out to passers-by in the hope of getting them to purchase some of the vehicles on display.

A car dealer, Okechukwu Madueke, said, “Compared to previous years, sale this Yuletide is really bad. Usually at this period, we would have many people rushing to buy cars. At this park alone, we could sell between 10 and 15 cars daily; so, by the time you put the figure together for the other parks, you will know how well we were doing then. But now, it is a struggle to sell two tp three cars daily.

“I actually expected that there would be a rush to buy vehicles before the January 1 deadline to beat the enforcement of the second phase of the tariff increase, but things are not going that way at all.”

The car dealer also said the heavy traffic along the Oshodi/Apapa Expressway and the devaluation of the naira were other factors that could be responsible for the poor sale.

Our correspondent gathered that the current situation at the Berger Yard Market had been so for the past six months. Some dealers expressed their frustration at the traffic situation along the route, which they said could be one of the reasons for the drop in sales.

As of the time our correspondent visited the market, petroleum tankers had completely blocked the expressway from Mile 2 to Apapa.

Another dealer, Iyke Okoye, said, “Sometimes, buyers turn back at Mile 2 out of frustration after spending many hours in the traffic trying to get to this market. The reality is that there are other auto markets at FESTAC and in other areas of Lagos where they can buy cars. If people have to spend hours in the traffic to get here, they can as well go to other places if only to save themselves the stress.

“Accidents happen here on an hourly basis because the petroleum tankers parked indiscriminately along the road. So, we don’t know if this is the reason why people no longer buy from us.”

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Bauchi man, 27, allegedly k!lls 13-year-old pregnant girlfriend

Published

on

A 27-year-old man, Munkaila Ado, has been arrested for the alleged m*rder of one Safiya Danladi, a 13-year-old girl, in Pali community of Alkaleri local government area of Bauchi State.

Until her death, Safiya was carrying a four-month-old pregnancy for Munkaila, who was her boyfriend, Leadership reported.

Munkaila was hellbent on getting the pregnancy aborted afterwhich Safiya was secretly taken to Gombe State for abortion, it was reported.

Munkaila later opted to k!ll his lover after an unsuccessful arrangement to abort the four-month-old pregnancy in the neighbouring Gombe State.

However, a statement by the Bauchi State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Ahmed Mohammed Wakil, said: “The suspect (Munkaila) confessed that the missing girl was his girlfriend who was four-month pregnant to the knowledge of her mother but unknown to the father Alhaji Danladi Mohammed.”

The Police spokesperson added that Munkaila conspired with the mother of the 13-year-old girl and another accomplice by name Mu’azu and they “took the victim to Gombe to procure an abortion, thereafter on reaching Gombe the victim was led to one Hajiya Amina Abubakar ‘f’ 50-yr-old house in Jekada Fari behind Specialist Hospital Gombe where the victim was administered with some substances to cause the abortion.”

He said while returning home in Bauchi State, Munkaila and Muazu strangulated Safiya to death. They thereafter burnt the corpse and bury her in a shallow grave.

SP Wakil stated that the duo will be charged to court on two-count charge of criminal conspiracy and culpable homicide as well as violation of human right and dignity of the girl-child.

Continue Reading

Metro

Photos: Terrorists Release More Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack Victims

Published

on

The terrorists who attacked the Abuja-Kaduna train passengers on March 28, 2022, have released another seven hostages, including a family of six and an older woman.

The Publisher of Kaduna-based Desert Herald and Media Consultant to Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, said the seven were released following the intervention of his principal.

 

Continue Reading

Metro

Nigerian Military arrests Owo Church attackers

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters said it has arrested the terrorists behind the attack on the St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, who made the disclosure during a parley with media executives at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja, said the criminals were arrested in collaboration with other security agencies.

Terrorists attacked the Catholic Church during a Sunday Mass and opened fire on the worshippers, resulting in the death of over 30 persons.

The incident happened on June 5.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.