Connect with us

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian newspapers:

1. The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, otherwise known as Shiites, on Monday alleged that the President Muhammadu Buhari government has concluded a plan to kill security personnel, journalists, and some members of the public and put the blame on them (IMN). The group then called on security personnel, journalists and members of the public to be particularly extra vigilant. IMN said the Buhari government should particularly be held responsible for any harm that may be inflicted on the persons and properties of Ashura mourners or indeed anyone.

2. The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Mohammed Adamu on Monday declared that all activities of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) remained proscribed in line with the Terrorism (Prevention) Proscription Order Notice of July 26. He said all gathering or procession by the group had remained illegal and would be treated as a gathering in the advancement of terrorism. He said that the attention of the police had been drawn to plans by some members of the proscribed IMN to embark on a nationwide procession on Tuesday, adding that the procession is targeted at disrupting public peace, order and security in the country.

3. The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the last general elections, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, and his party on Monday called on the tribunal to sack President Muhammadu Buhari when it finally delivers its judgement on their petition. They called on the Tribunal to determine the petition on its merit rather than technicalities and ensure substantial justice. The PDP and Atiku insisted that Buhari was not qualified to have contested the election and as such should be disqualified.

4. The National and State House of Assembly Elections Petitions Tribunal sitting in Umuahia on Monday, nullified the election of the Senate Chief Whip, Orji Kalu, for Abia North Senatorial District. Delivering its judgment, a member of the three-member tribunal, Justice I.P.C Igwe, said that the petitioner, Sen. Mao Ohuabunwa, successfully proved his allegation of substantial non-compliance with the electoral guidelines. The panel, therefore, nullified the election and ordered a supplementary election in the affected areas within 90 days.

5. President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday received the report of the special envoy sent to South Africa on the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians. He consequently, directed the next steps to take to stop the menace. President Buhari stressed the need for the South African Government to take visible measures to stop violence against citizens of brotherly African nations. Buhari gave instruction for the immediate voluntary evacuation of all Nigerians who are willing to return home.

6. The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), on Monday, said that the Nigerian government should take the blame rather than its South African counterpart over the attacks and looting of property of Nigerians in South Africa. ASUU said that about 50 percent of top-notch scholars in South Africa were Nigerians, noting that Nigerians, who were seen as mere greener-pasture seekers would always be exposed to attacks by their host countries. The union explained that migration of Nigerians to South Africa had been informed by the poor economic situation in the country.

7. The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Nasarawa on Monday said an accident which occurred along Akwanga-Lafia highway involving three vehicles claimed the lives of 11 persons while four others sustained injuries. Ismaila Maiwada-Kugu, the Sector Commander, said the accident took place at a place popularly known as ‘Many have gone’ in Wowyen village on the outskirts of Akwanga Local Government area of the state around 10.25 am on Monday. He said three vehicles and 15 people were also involved in the accident, adding that while four persons were injured, 11 were killed.

8. The National Assembly/State Houses of Assembly Elections Petition Tribunal sitting in Enugu, on Monday delivered its judgement on a petition against the election of Senator Ike Ekweremadu representing Enugu West Senatorial Zone. The three-man tribunal, in a judgement that lasted for over three hours, held that the former Deputy Senate President was elected with lawful valid votes cast during the February 23, 2019 elections. Ekweremadu’s election was challenged by Barr. Mrs. Juliet Ibekaku-Nwagwu of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

9. The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC on Monday acknowledged the nomination of the Chief of Staff to the Kogi State Governor Chief Edward David Onoja as Yahaya Bello’s running mate in the November gubernatorial election. The move officially confirmed that the governor will not be seeking his second term bid with his embattled Deputy Elder Simon Achuba. The nomination of the Chief of Staff was contained in a press statement issued on Monday by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Muhammed Onogu who also confirmed that, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has formally presented Governor Bello as it flag bearer in the forthcoming poll.

10. Candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, for the 16 November 2019 Bayelsa State Governorship election, Chief David Lyon, has named a sitting Senator, Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo as his running mate. Degi-Eremienyo is currently representing Bayelsa East in the Senate. He is Vice Chairman of both the Special Duties Committee and the Gas Resources Committee in the Red Chamber. The Deputy Governorship Candidate served as Bayelsa State Commissioner for Local Government Affairs under Governor Goodluck Jonathan. He was Executive Director at the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA).

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.