Connect with us

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Tuesday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. The meeting between the Minister of Labour, Simon Lalong, and the Nigeria Labour Congress ended in deadlock as the organized labour insisted that the Federal Government must meet its demands ahead of the 21-day ultimatum issued on September 1 by the congress. The union may embark on an indefinite strike this week.

2. Ogun State Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Alamutu, on Monday, confirmed that eight people were killed during cult clashes in the Sagamu area of the State. Alamutu, who spoke in Abeokuta on the four-day rival bloodbath by rival cult groups in the area, also disclosed that nine suspects had been arrested.

3. The camp of the Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri, was depleted on Monday as some of his principal aides and the state youth leader of the Peoples Democratic Party, Nunieh Odede, dumped the PDP for the All Progressives Congress. Odede announced his resignation from the PDP in a handwritten letter, while the governor’s top aides formally vacated their offices to campaign for the APC candidate, Timipre Sylva ahead of the November 11 polls.

4. The Ondo State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress has declared that it would punish a ward chairman of the party in Akoko North-West Local Government Area of the State, Mr Olumide Awolumate, for allegedly beating the State Commissioner for Woman Affairs and Social Development, Mrs Juliana Osadahun. The chairman was seen in a video engaging in a free-for-all with the commissioner during palliative distribution.

5. The Lagos State Police Command has inaugurated a 13-man investigative panel to unravel the mysteries surrounding the death of 27-year-old fast-rising artiste, Ileri-Oluwa Oladimeji, popularly known as Mohbad. The panel is to carry out a discreet investigation which covers exhumation, autopsy/toxicology/histology, scene visit, hospital/medical report, records of suspects/witnesses statements.

6. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, says he stands by his position on the Oyo State traditional rulers whom he accused of disrespecting Governor Seyi Makinde. In a statement signed by his Media Aide, Kehinde Akinyemi on Monday, Obasanjo while reacting to the controversies surrounding his action, said he is unapologetic.

7. The rift between Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki and his deputy, Philip Shaibu, further deepened on Monday when the embattled number two citizen of the State was barred from accessing his office inside the Government House, Benin-city, the State capital. Shaibu arrived at the office in company of his aides, but met the gates of the one-storey building hosting his office firmly locked.

8. The Defence Headquarters has launched an investigation into a video clip on social media of some soldiers engaging with bandits somewhere in Katsina State. Its probe is to ascertain the authenticity of the clips as regards the soldiers seen in uniform. A statement issued last night by its Director of Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Tukur Gusau said the military high command was aware of the resolve of some bandits to repent and hand over their weapons to the authorities.

9. Bandits have kidnapped a woman and her three children in the Maraban Rido community of Kaduna State, killing a member of the community. Although the police in Kaduna were yet to react to the development, locals said the bandits wielding sophisticated weapons overpowered the local vigilantes, broke into the family house and kidnapped the mother of three and her children.

10. Gunmen suspected to be herdsmen have abducted a Catholic priest and six other motorists in Enugu State. Their abduction came barely 24 hours after a middle-aged man was killed and several others kidnapped in separate locations in Enugu State on Saturday. The Catholic Diocese of Enugu State confirmed the abduction and called on Christians to pray for his safety.

 

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.