The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Tuesday
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has reacted to campaign against moves by the National Assembly to pass bills providing tighter regulations for the media, declaring that no institution in the country is above the law. He spoke in Abuja at the Second Dinner/Award Night organised by the House of Representatives Press Corps.
2. Gombe State Governor, Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya says his administration is building big schools near security formations to keep greater number of students. He disclosed this to State House reporters in Abuja after meeting with the Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, on Monday.
3. President Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, said it is unusual for a ruling party to lose many states in an election but the APC-led government did so in 2019 to prove that they are a tolerant group. He spoke at the State House while receiving Governors Ben Ayade (Cross River) and Bello Matawalle (Zamfara) who recently joined the APC, said the opposition won the states the APC lost in order to demonstrate that the ruling party respected individuals.
4. Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu yesterday urged the Nigeria Immigration Service to nip in the bud the influx of new COVID-19 variants and save the nation from the imminent third wave of the virus. He spoke when he received the Comptroller of the Lagos State Command of the NIS, Bauchi Ahmed Aliyu.
5. The kidnapped Emir of Kajuru in Kajuru Local Government area of Kaduna State, Alhaji Alhassan Adamu, has been released by his abductors. One of the kingmakers of the Emirate Council, Dahiru Abubakar, confirmed the development to The Nation.
6. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has asked a Federal High Court in Abuja to sack Zamfara Governor Bello Muhammad Matawalle over his defection from the party to the All Progressives Congress (APC). The request formed part of the reliefs being sought in a suit, marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/489/2021 filed in the names of two PDP members from Zamfara State – Sani Kaura Ahmed and Abubakar Muhammed.
7. The Lagos State Governor Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s convoy on Monday arrested a gang of suspected criminals, who specialised in harassing motorists and road users in traffic. This was made known in a statement by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Gbenga Akosile.
8. Justice Nicholas Oweibo of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos State, on Monday, adjourned the continuation of trial in the case of Afeez Fashola, popularly known as Naira Marley, till October 5, 2021.
9. The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, yesterday, said that the federal government will allow the pan Igbo social-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo to fully witness and monitor the trial of self-acclaimed Biafran leader, Nnamdi Kanu, in the terrorism charges against him.
10. President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday formally presented the All Progressives Congress (APC) flag to Governor Bello Mohammed Matawalle as the new leader of the party in the state. This was contained in a statement signed by the Director-General, Press Affairs, Gusau Government House, Hon. Yusuf Idris Gusau.