Connect with us

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers

1. The President Muhammadu Buhari led Federal Government has ordered the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen to immediately vacate his office.

Consequently, the government will on Monday January 14, 2019 arraign the CJN before the Justice Danladi Yakubu led- Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) in Abuja on charges of failures to declare his assets as required by law and for operating Bank Domiciliary Foreign Currency Accounts.

2. A tanker carrying a petroleum products on Saturday caught fire in Lagos

The incident, caused traffic gridlock, was reported by eyewitness around 6:30pm the Ifako Ogudu area.

3. The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has commended President Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government’s order that the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Samuel Onnoghen should immediately vacate his office.

SERAP described the order against CJN Onnoghen as impressive.

4. Governors of South-South states have scheduled an emergency meeting to take place in Abuja on Sunday, following the planned arraignment of the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) on Monday.

Ths Special Adviser, Media Relations to the Governor of Bayelsa State, Fidelis Soriwei, stated that apart from the recent development involving the Chief Justice of the Federation, the meeting will also deliberate on security in the Niger Delta and the issue of derivation.

5. The Director General, President Muhammadu Buhari/Osinbajo 2019 Campaign, Chibuike Amaechi has dismissed the opposition Peoples Democratic party, PDP, aa “broke and hungry.”

Amaechi, a former Governor of Rivers State, spoke in Bauchi at a political rally organised to receive 18 prominent PDP members in the state who had defected to APC.

6. Justice Ibrahim Tanko Mohammed will likely replace Justice Walter Onnoghen as the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), as he is the next most senior jurist on the apex court bench, if the incumbent is compelled to vacate his office.

The Federal Government has concluded plans to dock Onnoghen before the Justice Danladi Umar-led Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) in Abuja on Monday, even as it has prepared a motion for the tribunal to compel him to vacate his office to concentrate on clearing himself of the criminal allegations against him.

7. Presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has warned President Muhammadu Buhari and the governing All Progressives Congress (APC) not to throw Nigeria into an avoidable crisis over their desperation to sack the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen.

Atiku said the plot to sack Justice Onnoghen is a preemptive move against the bench in the face of imminent defeat and knowing the role that the judiciary plays in the final outcome of elections.

8. Hon. Edward Pwajok, SAN, a member of the House of Representatives and ez gubernatorial aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has formally joined the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

He led thousands of other defectors and his supporters into the PDP Saturday afternlon at the presidential rally of the PDP at the Polo Ground, Jos.

9. The All Progressives Congress(APC) on Saturday said its official website, apc.com.ng, had been hacked with unauthorised content posted on its pages.

Malam Lanre Issa-Onilu, APC National Publicity Secretary, who disclosed this in a statement, said he had directed for the site to be taken down.

10. The national leadership of the Action Democratic Party (ADP), on Friday said it has suspended the Oyo State Chairman of the party, Chief Folaranmi Owolabi over various offences ranging from anti-party activities, misappropriation of party’s funds and abuse of office to cause division and unhealthy rivalry within the rank and file of party faithfuls among others.

ADP National Vice Chairman (South West), Mr. Lati Arowosaye, in a letter, said he was directed by the leadership of the party to inform the former Chairman of the party in the state that he has been suspended from office as the Chairman of Action Democratic Party in Oyo state with immediate effect.

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.