Connect with us

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Adewale Akanbi, was on Friday suspended for the duration of six months by the Osun State Council of Traditional Rulers, following an alleged physical assault on a fellow monarch. The Agbuwo of Ogbaagba, Oba Dikhirulahi Akinropo accused the Iwo monarch of punching him severally and inflicted injury on him during a peace meeting at the instance of the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone 11, Osogbo, Bashir Makama. The Orangun of Ila made the announcement on Friday.

2. President Muhammadu Buhari, Friday, in Abuja said the issue of partial closure of Nigeria’s land border to goods from neighbouring countries will be determined by report of tripartite committee made up of Nigeria, Benin and Niger Republic. President Buhari, who received President Roch Marc Christian Kabore of Burkina Faso at the Presidential Villa, said Nigeria’s decision to partially close the border was purely to safeguard national security.

3. Many persons, including some members of vigilante group have been reportedly abducted by Boko Haram insurgents in Yobe State. The terrorists abducted them after blocking a road in Lantaiwa village in Tarmuwa Local Government Area, which is about 75 kilometres from Damaturu, the Yobe State capital. The incident was said to have occurred on Friday at about 10:30 am.

4. Ali Ndume, Senator representing Borno South in the National Assembly, has rejected the newly introduced bill aimed at creating an agency for repentant Boko Haram insurgents. Ndume who is the Chairman Senate Committee on Army, said the bill was indirectly asking more Nigerians to team up with the terrorist group. The lawmaker stated that the bill will swell the ranks of Boko Haram because they are sure of rehabilitation and reintegration into the society.

5. The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, otherwise known as Shiites on Friday secured the release of 100 of its members at the Kaduna State High Court. The IMN secured the victory in the case brought before the court against the last batch of its members detained since December 2015 following the attacks by the Nigerian Army in Zaria. The Islamic group said by discharging and acquitting all the 100 remaining accused members, both the leadership and membership of the group have been absolved of any blame in the events leading up to the Zaria massacre.

6. The Senate President, Ahmad Lawan has declared the seats of Bayelsa Central and Bayelsa West Senatorial Districts vacant, following the election of their occupants as governor and deputy governor of Bayelsa State. The governor, Sen. Diri Douye represented Bayelsa Central while his deputy, Sen. Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo represented Bayelsa West. INEC will consequently announce a date for a by-election.

7. The Ogun State Command has said those shot by its officers while chasing ‘Yahoo boys’ at Olomore area of Abeokuta have not died. Some Hausa pepper sellers were reportedly shot by police while chasing internet fraudsters. The incident caused riot in the area as Hausa traders in the market and their Fulani counterparts at Lafenwa market barricaded the major highway, burning tires on the road. But the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, on Friday, said the two victims were responding to treatment at the General Hospital, Ijaye.

8. Report has it that Boko Haram insurgents on Friday evening entered Garkida, a town in Gombi, a local government area north of Adamawa State, and went on rampage. The insurgents were said to have destroyed lives and property. The insurgents arrived from somewhere in neighbouring Borno State into Garkida about 7 pm, causing residents to scamper for safety, with unspecified number of them being fatally harmed or at least injured. The state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Suleiman Nguroje said that personnel had been drafted to ascertain the situation.

9. The leadership of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has declared Jan. 21 of every year to honour persecuted Christians in Nigeria. Pastor Adebayo Oladeji, Special Assistant Media and Communications to the CAN President, His Eminence, Rev. Samson Ayokunle disclosed this in a statement on Friday. The national day of prayers was declared in honour of the late slain CAN Chairman, Rev. Lawan Andimi who was killed by Boko.

10. The United States Department of Justice has accused Nigerian government of planning to hand over about $100m out of the money looted by former Head of State, late Gen Sani Abacha, to Kebbi State Governor, Atiku Bagudu. The US Department also alleged that the Nigerian government was blocking efforts to recover part of the looted funds allegedly traced to Bagudu, who is the Chairman of the All Progressives Congress governor’s forum.

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.