Connect with us

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Saturday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu yesterday alleged that smugglers and beneficiaries of the old petrol subsidy were beginning to fight back, but vowed that his administration would not abuse the trust Nigerians reposed in him. Tinubu, during a meeting with the Forum of State Chairmen of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the State House in Abuja, said that Nigeria would prevail against the agents of destabilization.

2. Internet users and ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) based business operators across the country may have to endure up to three more weeks of epileptic services, it was gathered last night. The disruptions were sparked by a cut on the submarine cable system in the Atlantic Ocean offshore Cote D’Ivoire, along the coast of West Africa on Thursday, leaving many business transactions in hiccups.

3. Parents of the abducted schoolchildren at Government Secondary School and LEA Primary School, Kuriga, Chikun Local Government Area, Kaduna State have resorted to prayers for the safe return of their kids. Their resolve followed their inability to meet up with the sum of N1 billion demanded as ransom by the bandits responsible for the children’s abduction.

4. A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered that a Lagos businessman, Akindele, be remanded in the Kuje Prison pending when he is able to perfect the bail granted him. Justice James Omotosho issued the order yesterday upon realising that Akindele had been unable to perfect the bail earlier granted.

5. The Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, Tin-Can Island Customs Command, Lagos, yesterday said its officers intercepted 11 rifles and six pistols, including their ammunition, alongside banned drugs in different containers at the Tin-Can Island Port between January and middle of March, this year. Addressing reporters at the port, its Area Controller, Dera Nnadi, disclosed that due to an ongoing investigation, the source of the arms and ammunition would not be disclosed at this period.

6. Senator Abdulaziz Yar’adua said yesterday that the Federal Government was working on recruiting more security personnel to battle the rising crime rates in the country. The Senator spoke as a guest on Channels Television programme, Sunrise Daily on a day the Forum of State Chairmen of All Progressives Congress, APC, advised President Bola Tinubu to “wield the big stick” in the fight against insecurity.

7. Following the high rate of kidnapping and general insecurity in the country, the Forum of All Progressives Congress, APC, Chairmen has asked President Bola Tinubu not to spare any security chief that fails to live up to expectation. Addressing State House correspondents after a meeting with Tinubu at the Presidential Villa, on Friday, secretary of the forum, Alphonsus Oga Eba, said insecurity in the country was discussed in their meeting.

8. The military high command, on Friday, asked the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to track down some enemies of the country funding terrorism. Gen. Christopher Musa, the Chief of Defence Staff, made this plea to the anti-graft agency at Defence Headquarters, Abuja.

9. President Bola Tinubu has approved the appointment of Mrs. Zubaida Umar as the Director-General of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA. In a statement, Ajuri Ngelale, presidential spokesman, said her appointment further underlines the President’s avowed commitment to gender inclusion.

10. Police in Akwa Ibom rescued four kidnap victims in the last one month. One of them is a woman who faked her own abduction. They also arrested 52 suspects for various crimes. Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Waheed Ayilara, told journalists in Uyo on Friday that some of the crimes were murder, kidnap, armed robbery, child trafficking, cultism and fraud.

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.