
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Sunday alleged that political terrorists said it planned to retain the zoning of its presidential slot ahead of the 2023 general election in the North East and South-East geo-political zones. It dissociated the party from the said decision, stating that the party’s governors are not divided over the 2023 election as they are only concentrating on Kogi and Bayelsa election for now. The opposition party’s spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan, said this in a statement in Abuja on Sunday.
2. Ahmed Gulak, who was the chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC governorship primary election committee in Edo State, has alleged that the immediate past governor, Rochas Okorocha, offered him $2 million bribe to deliver certificate of return to his son-in-law, Uche Nwosu. In the report, Gulak said he rejected the bribe because of his integrity, adding that he would have collected after all without anybody dragging him to court.
3. The Interim Executive Director of Project, Niger Delta Development Commission, Cairo Ojougboh, has raised the alarm over allegation of about N3tn phantom contract in the commission. He alleged that an unnamed serving senator involved in the screening of the NDDC board was behind 300 contract jobs with the commission. According to him, 120 of the contracts have been fully paid for by the commission without the senator mobilising workforce to sites. Addressing journalists in Abuja, the former member of the House of Representatives said 10 audit firms had been engaged to audit the financial records of the NDDC.
4. President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the extension of the joint border operations code-named Exercise Swift Response. The exercise led to the total shutdown of land frontiers across the country. The land borders are expected to be reopened on January 31, 2020. This was revealed in a circular dated November 1, 2019 (NCS/ENF/ABJ/221/S.45) and signed by the Comptroller of Customs in charge of enforcement, Victor David Dimka, to the Sector Coordinators, joint border operations drill (Exercise Swift Response).
5. The Senate Committee on Finance has summoned the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, to appear before it on Monday (today). Emefiele is expected at the Senate panel to explain the reason behind the exchange rates the CBN used for three key projects under the Presidential Infrastructure Development Fund. The multi-billion-dollar projects are being funded with the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority.
6. The All Progressives Congress, APC, in the South-South has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to return the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC to the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, OSGF which is under the Presidency. The stakeholders in a statement signed by the APC National Vice Chairman, South-South, Prince Hilliard Eta added that the forensic audit of the NDDC as ordered by the president should commence with the period of the Water Hyacinth contract. According to the statement, the recent crisis in the Commission is causing embarrassment to the South-South APC stakeholders.
7. Governor of California, Gavin Newsom, has appointed a Nigerian, Uduak-Joe Ntuk, as the State Oil and Gas Supervisor, responsible for managing the Division of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources (DOGGR). Ntuk is the first Nigerian-American to hold the position in California’s history. A statement from the governor’s office said that Ntuk had served as the Petroleum Administrator for the City of Los Angeles, the second-largest city in the United States of America.
8. Burna Boy on Sunday night won the best beat the likes of Teni, Nasty C to emerge winner of the Best African Act category at the 2019 MTV EMAs awards in Seville, Spain. He had earlier won the Best International Act award at the 2019 Black Entertainment Television (BET) Awards. Burna Boy’s win makes it the fourth time in a row that a Nigerian musician will win ‘Best African act award’.
9. The Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, has been shut down. Reports also claims that the Students’ Union Government (SUG) has also been banned by management. This follows the violent protest staged on Friday by the students over alleged meddling of management in the affairs of the SUG, including alleged attempts to install its stooges as leaders of the students’ body during its election held on Thursday. The institution’s Director of Protocol, Information and Public Relations, Mr Adeyemi Adejolu, disclosed this in a statement issued in Ado Ekiti on Sunday.
10. The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has arrested the Kogi State Programme Manager for the National Home-Grown School Feeding Programme, Khadijat Karibo, and a former State Focal Person for the programme in the state, Adoga Ibrahim, for alleged diversion of N68m. The spokesperson for the commission, Rasheedat Okoduwa said a petition alleging that the former State Focal Person and the Programme Manager had connived and diverted large sums of money set aside for payments to cooks in Kogi State was received by the ICPC, hence the action.
General News
From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.
General News
Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map
Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com
General News
The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.
2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.
3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.
4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.
5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.
6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.
7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.
8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.
9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.
10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.
-
Audio10 years agoPage – Day Break Everywhere Burst
-
Audio5 years agoShadykarz – Forever
-
Audio10 years agoJuniorboy ft. 9ice – IRAPADA
-
Entertainment Gists5 years agoEx-Beauty Queen, Sandra Benede Shares Sexy Photo
-
Audio5 years agoSimi – Happy Birthday ft. Adekunle Gold, DeJa
-
Audio5 years agoRuger – Bounce
-
Mixtapes4 years agoMixtape: DJ DimpleNipple – The Best Of Amapiano Thrills
-
Editorials3 years agoSa’eedah Imam On Creating Her Imprint In The Nigerian Music Industry As An Emerging Creative Writer

