Connect with us

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Monday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. Some Muslims in Sokoto State observed Eid prayers on Sunday in defiance to the directive of Alhaji Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar, Sultan of Sokoto, who declared Monday as Eid-ul-Fitr. On Saturday, the Sultan, who is the head of all Muslims in Nigeria, announced that the new moon of Shawwal, 1443AH, had not been sighted.

2. Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State has placed a ban on the hoisting of banners and posters by politicians during the Eid Prayers and other Sallah festivities. In his Sallah message contained in a statement by the commissioner for information, Malam Muhammad Garba, the Governor said such could cause distractions during prayers.

3. Mr Joe Anatune, image manager of Anambra State Governor, Prof Chukwuma Soludo, and leader of his media team during last year’s election, has been announced dead. Anatune reportedly died on Saturday, a few days after he bagged a government appointment, after tirelessly working for Soludo’s victory last year.

4. The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit against the Federal Government over alleged failure to protect the rights to life, security, and dignity of the victims of the Abuja-Kaduna train attack and the failure to secure the safe release of those held captive by the terrorists.

5. A bread seller and her son have been confirmed dead in a 3-storey building that collapsed in the Ebutte Metta axis of Lagos Mainland Local Government Area of Lagos State on Sunday. Also, 23 persons were said to have been rescued from the rubble and treated.

6. President Muhammadu Buhari has said the battle waged against terrorists who falsely masquerade under the name of Islam is approaching its conclusion. The President said this Sunday while sending his best wishes to Muslims in Nigeria and across the world celebrating the occasion of the Holy month of Ramadan that reached its end as they marked the Eid.

7. A nationwide survey carried out by the Intellectual Forum on Politics and Governance has shown that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is the preferred candidate to succeed President Muhammadu Buhari, in 2023. The survey, carried out in February, asked Nigerians to choose their favourite from among Osinbajo; Asiwaju Bola Tinubu; Rabiu Kwankwaso, and Abubakar Atiku.

8. An Indian national, Devendra Singh, has allegedly committed suicide at his private office on Egbeyemi Street, in the Ilupeju area of Lagos State. Until his death, Singh, 42, was said to be a field worker at the Agro Nigeria Limited, in the Ikeja area of the state.

9. Two Akwa Ibom children, Gideon Edet and Kingsley Edet, have been rescued from the hands of suspected ritualists by their grandmother, Mrs Bassey Ekong. It was learnt that the duo were rescued after their parents allegedly completed negotiation to sell them for N50,000 and N20,000 respectively, due to poverty.

10. Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka travelled to Cotonou, Benin Republic, to honour an invitation by the Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho. The literary icon was seen at the Seme border around Sunday noon, crossing over to Cotonou, the capital city of Benin Republic.

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.