Connect with us

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. A Federal High Court in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, on Thursday declared that the All Progressives Congress, APC, has no governorship candidate in the November 16 election in the State. The governorship election in the State comes up on Saturday, November 12. The court presided over by Justice Jane Inyang gave the ruling in a case filed by Heineken Lokpobiri, one of the APC governorship aspirants. The court ruled that the governorship primary conducted by the APC in Bayelsa state was not done in compliance with the guidelines and the constitution of the party, therefore, the party has no candidate.

2. The rape case filed against Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo of COZA by Busola Dakolo at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory was Thursday dismissed. The court sitting at Bwari, dismissed the case against the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly Senior Pastor on the ground that it amounts to injustice and an abuse of judicial process. According to the ruling, the case is empty and purely sentimental. The court also awarded costs of N1,000,000 against Busola Dakolo and held that the fine should have been 10 times more because the court’s time was wasted.

3. There appears to be a deep controversy over Bayelsa governorship election as it has been claimed that an Appeal Court in Abuja has given the APC candidate in the State the go-ahead to contest in the Saturday’s election. This claim follows an earlier disqualification of the candidate by a court sitting in Yenegoa. The Minister of State for Petroleum, Mr Timipre Sylva, disclosed the new development at a news conference in Yenagoa on Thursday, saying that the APC would fully participate by contesting in the poll.

4. The Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai went on his knees at the All Progressives Congress’ mega rally in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital on Thursday, begging the people of the State to forgive Governor Yahaya Bello of whatever wrong he had done and vote him back to power. El-Rufai, while begging, said many people believe Yahaya Bello is young and that he has fought them. He said that for everyone that the governor had offended, he should be forgiven.

5. The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) on Thursday said its helicopter crashed in the process of landing in Enugu State. A statement on NAF’s Official Twitter page said that details of the incident which occurred after a routine flight were still sketchy. No further information has been provided since the incident occurred.

6. Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme of the Benin Division of the Court of Appeal has regained her freedom. The judge who was kidnapped by suspected gunmen on Wednesday last week in Benin City has since been reunited with her family. The Commissioner of Police, Edo State Command, Danmallam Mohammed confirmed the release of the judge.

7. Ahead of the governorship elections in Kogi and Bayelsa states on Saturday, President Muhammadu Buhari and, Dr Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday condemned the growing violence in both states, cautioning politicians to drop politics of bitterness. While Jonathan described signals coming from the two states as disturbing, Buhari said the cases of violence recorded in some areas in the two states were saddening and unnecessary.

8. The Federal Government on Thursday assured Nigerians that the hate speech bill was not aimed at “muzzling the media.” Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed explained that the hate speech bill won’t stop Nigerians from criticizing the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari. Speaking with Guild of Corporate Online Publishers, GOCOP, in Abuja, Mohammed insisted that the bill was targeting those spreading fake news and purveyors of hate in the country.

9. Nigeria, the Republic of Benin and Niger, have established a joint border patrol team comprising the Police, Customs, Immigration of the tripartite countries to recommend a date for the reopening of the borders. The three countries reached a resolution on Thursday in Abuja at the end of the Tripartite Anti-Smuggling Committee Meeting of Nigeria, Benin and Niger. Reading the communiqué at the end of the meeting, Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, said the meeting took note of all concerns raised and agreed to establish a monitoring and evaluating committee of the three countries.

10. Report has claimed that some gunmen have abducted a worker with the Nigerian Television Authority, Abiodun Adenuga, in his Aiyepe residence in the Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun State. Adenuga was abducted around 10 pm on Tuesday at his house where the gunmen held him at gunpoint and took him away. The gunmen have already demanded for a ransom of N15m.

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.