Connect with us

General News

The Newspapers: Things You Need To Know This Thursday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. Again, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has uncovered another huge sum of cash believed to have been stolen by politicians. Operatives on Wednesday discovered the huge sums of money in Dollars, Pounds and Naira in an apartment in House 16, Osborne Road, Ikoyi, Lagos. This is the third discovery within few days.

2. Despite the denial by former president, Goodluck Jonathan of receiving $200m as kick-back from Malabu oil deal, the House of Representatives ad-hoc panel probing the contract of Oil Prospecting License (OPL) 245, Razak Atunwa, says his committee will invite former president, Goodluck Jonathan, to assist in the ongoing investigation. This was contained in a statement it issued on Wednesday. According to Rep Atunwa, Jonathan’s input in the probe was important.

3. Youth of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have asked the party’s national chairman, Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, to apologise to former President, Goodluck Jonathan for walking out on him at a stakeholders meeting in Abuja last week. The youths, under the aegis of the Amalgamated PDP Youth Leaders Nationwide, stated this at a press briefing in Abuja on Wednesday. Sheriff was given 7 days ultimatum to apologise.

4. Report on Wednesday claims Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Wednesday raided the Kano State home of a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Bello Adoke (SAN). The report claims the operatives broke down the doors of the house during the exercise.

5. Following DSS action and intelligence gathering that led to aversion of a recent plan by Boko Haram-Isis group to attack US and UK embassies in Nigeria, the United States has commended the DSS for blocking the planned attack. US mission’s Press Attache, Russell Brooks said the embassy appreciates the work of DSS and Nigerian security forces in fighting terrorism and keeping citizens and residents safe.

6. Cristiano Ronaldo has become the first player to reach 100 goals in European competitions, after he scored twice in Real Madrid’s 2-1 win over Bayern Munich. The Portuguese came into the match on 98 European goals, but scored two more goals in the second half of the competition to take the total goals to 100.

7. Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State, Wednesday evening escaped mob attack in his convoy at Idah. He was on his way from Ibaji, the hometown of his deputy when some youths of Idah town mobilised and blocked the road and descended on his convoy and damaged some of the vehicles. The youths were demanding for the payment of worker’s salaries.

8. Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo has said President Muhammadu Buhari will not replace the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, whose nomination has since been rejected by the Senate twice. According to the VP, the security report presented by the Department of State Services, DSS, which is the basis of his rejection was not a strong reason to replace Magu.

9. Nigerian banks may be facing Senate investigation any time soon, as Chairman, Senate Committee on Customs and Excise Duties, Hope Uzodinma, has stated that its committee has discovered high level manipulation of foreign exchange to the tune of N30 trillion purchased on behalf of importers by Nigeria Banks. He revealed this while granting interview to correspondents after his Committee meeting in Abuja, noting that all banks were involved in the purchase of hard currencies on behalf of importers which were never utilized.

10. Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, has said that the Federal Government is still negotiating for the release of the remaining Chibok girls still in Boko Haram enclaves. Osinbajo gave the hint on Tuesday evening, at an interaction with journalists and activists at the State House in Abuja. He said the negotiations would hopefully yield the desired results.

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.