Connect with us

News

Luis Figo pulls out of FIFA presidential election race as Portugal legend pulls no punches with explosive statement

Published

on

Luis Figo is dropping out of the election for president of FIFA, saying the May 29 ballot is ‘not a normal electoral act.’
The Portugal great and former FIFA world player of the year says in a statement sent to The Associated Press that he refuses to go along with an election process that is designed ‘for the delivery of absolute power to one man’ – indicating Sepp Blatter.
Figo said during campaigning he encountered hypocrisy among federation presidents around the world, and that people who wanted to speak out had been silenced. He gave no names.

28EFBA4000000578-3091411-image-a-3_1432225001975

He said FIFA was ‘living under a dictatorship’ with Blatter, whose re-election is widely expected.
Figo’s announcement came hours after another candidate, Dutch soccer federation president Michael van Praag, also withdrew. The Dutchman has given his backing to Prince Ali bin Al Hussein.
A statement from Van Praag’s office said: ‘After thorough deliberation and reflection with different involved parties and stakeholders.
‘Michael van Praag decided to withdraw his candidacy to become the next FIFA president and to join forces with presidential candidate Prince Ali Al Hussein.’

 

LUIS FIGO’S EXPLOSIVE STATEMENT IN FULL

Running for president of FIFA resulted from a personal decision, taken after listening to many pertinent people in the realm of international soccer.
I sought out the support needed for me to stand, I formally presented my candidacy, and the reactions in the soccer world were so overwhelming – both in public and in private – that I was reassured that I had made the right decision.
The realm of a sport which gave me everything to become what I am, and to which I now offered to give something back, is hungry for change. FIFA needs change and I feel that the change is urgent.
Guided by that wish, by the formal support I collected, and by the incredible wave of support from soccer players, former players, coaches, referees and administrators, I imagined and presented a plan of action – my election manifesto for the FIFA presidency.
I traveled and met extraordinary people who, though they recognized the value of much that had been done, also concurred with the need for change, one that cleans up FIFA’s reputation as an obscure organization that is so often viewed as a place of corruption.
But over the past few months I have not only witnessed that desire (for change), I have witnessed consecutive incidents, all over the world, that should shame anyone who desires soccer to be free, clean and democratic.
I have seen with my own eyes federation presidents who, after one day comparing FIFA leaders to the devil, then go on stage and compare those same people with Jesus Christ. Nobody told me about this. I saw it with my own eyes.
The candidates were prevented from addressing federations at congresses while one of the candidates always gave speeches on his own from the rostrum. There has not been a single public debate about each candidate’s proposals.
Does anyone think it’s normal that an election for one of the most relevant organizations on the planet can go ahead without a public debate? Does anyone think it’s normal that one of the candidates doesn’t even bother to present an election manifesto that can be voted on May 29? Shouldn’t it be mandatory to present such a manifesto so that federation presidents know what they’re voting for?
That would be normal, but this electoral process is anything but an election.

 

This (election) process is a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man – something I refuse to go along with.
That is why, after a personal reflection and sharing views with two other candidates in this process, I believe that what is going to happen on May 29 in Zurich is not a normal electoral act.
And because it is not, don’t count on me.
I want it to be clear that I have deep respect for all world soccer, from Africa, where I got so much motivation, to Asia, where I have and will keep excellent relationships, through South America, where a new generation is emerging, and Central and North America, where so many who wanted to speak were silenced, and to Oceania, whose development we should all look at differently. And finally to Europe, where I felt there was space for normal and democratic debate, thanks to the endeavors of President (Michel) Platini.
I give my warmest thanks to everyone, because I want it to be clear that they are not the election committee and it is not they who want FIFA to become weaker and weaker.
For my part, I will abide by the ideas I leave written and have circulated, I am firm in my desire to take an active part in the regeneration of FIFA and I will be available for it whenever it is proven to me that we are not living under a dictatorship.
I do not fear the ballot box, but I will not go along with nor will I give my consent to a process which will end on May 29 and from which soccer will not emerge the winner.
My decision is made, I will not stand in what is being called an election for the FIFA presidency.
I offer my deepest thanks to all those who have supported me and I ask them to keep alive their desire for a regeneration which, though it may take some time, will come.

 

News

Obeena Delivers Show-Stopping Performance at Igbotic Game Night in East London

Published

on

East Ham, East London — 8 August 2026: The vibrant Igbo community in the UK came together for an unforgettable evening of entertainment, culture and social connection at Igbotic Game Night, one of the biggest social gatherings celebrating the Igbo community in the United Kingdom.

Among the night’s standout moments was an electrifying performance by Afrobeats artist Obeena, who took the stage and immediately captured the attention of the crowd.

Obeena delivered performances of two of his hit songs, “Wara Wara” and “Banging,” bringing his energetic sound and distinctive stage presence to the event. From the opening moments of his set, fans responded with excitement, singing along, dancing and enthusiastically supporting the artist.

His performance of “Wara Wara” created an instant connection with the audience, while “Banging” took the energy to another level. Obeena’s ability to engage the crowd transformed his set into one of the most memorable entertainment moments of the evening.

Held in East Ham, East London, on 8 August 2026, Igbotic Game Night provided a unique platform for members of the Igbo community to celebrate their heritage while enjoying music, games and social interaction. Events such as this continue to play an important role in bringing together Nigerians and the wider African diaspora in the UK.

For Obeena, the performance was another opportunity to showcase his growing artistry and connect directly with fans. His energetic delivery, stage confidence and ability to command the audience demonstrated why his live performances continue to attract attention.

By the end of his set, Obeena had left the crowd amazed and added another memorable chapter to his journey as an Afrobeats artist. His appearance at Igbotic Game Night was not simply a performance—it was a celebration of Nigerian music, culture and community.

 

With performances like this, Obeena continues to demonstrate his ambition to take his sound beyond the studio and onto major stages, connecting with audiences through music, energy and an unmistakable African identity.

Igbotic Game Night brought the Igbo community together. Obeena gave them a performance to remember.

Continue Reading

News

Afrocentric Music Festival Invites 1,000 Music Artists!

Published

on

Are you a rising African artist ready to take your career to the next level? Showcase your talent on a massive stage at the AFROCENTRIC Music Festival in Abuja, running from November 7–18, 2026! Presented by NICOCUSA’s AFROCENTRIC Cultural Expo, this premier platform is inviting 1,000 up-and-coming artists to perform live before tens of thousands of music lovers, industry insiders, and energetic fans. Don’t miss this life-changing opportunity to launch your music career on a global stage—slots are limited, so visit afrocentricculturalexpo.com to register today, and follow us on social media for live updates!

Continue Reading

Audio

KenryWhite Releases “Kilometers” & “The King” A Powerful Double Release Celebrating Faith, Purpose, and the Journey to Greatness

Published

on

Nigerian Afrofusion artist KenryWhite unveils his compelling two-track release, “Kilometers & The King,” a project that explores the realities of life’s journey while affirming identity, faith, and purpose.

Leading the release is “Kilometers,” an uplifting anthem that reflects on the distance between dreams and fulfillment. Through heartfelt lyrics, captivating melodies, and vibrant Afrobeats production, KenryWhite encourages listeners to embrace the process, remain resilient, and keep moving forward despite life’s challenges.

Complementing the project is “The King,” featuring Wonder J. The record is a bold declaration of confidence, royalty, and divine purpose, blending infectious Afrobeats rhythms with inspiring lyricism. Together, the duo delivers a record that celebrates self-belief, leadership, and the mindset required to overcome every obstacle.

With rich storytelling, memorable melodies, and contemporary African sounds, “Kilometers & The King” showcases KenryWhite’s artistic growth while delivering music that inspires, motivates, and connects with audiences across the globe.

Now available on all major streaming platforms, “Kilometers & The King” invites listeners to embrace the journey, recognize their worth, and walk confidently into their purpose.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.