Connect with us
Joshua was ‘so tired and drained’ before first Ruiz fight

Unified world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua said a health issue left him “tired” and “drained” in the build-up to his June defeat by Andy Ruiz Jr.

Joshua, 30, reclaimed his world titles in Saudi Arabia on Saturday, dominating the Mexican over 12 rounds.

Conspiracy theories had circulated after his initial defeat, one of the biggest shocks in heavyweight history.

“I had some issue with my health which I was going through for a long time,” Joshua told the 5 Live Boxing podcast.

The Briton added: “I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I felt so tired and drained and thought it must be down to training.

“In the changing room before the fight I got a bucket of ice and was putting my head in it thinking ‘why do I feel so tired?’

“The responsibilities of being world champion are difficult. All that stuff, feeling so tired, dealing with obligations.

“Now I have energy, I haven’t missed a session.”

He added: “After my check-ups it showed what the problem was and this is what you have to get sorted.

“Even in this camp I had an operation done but as I’d started training in June I had no issues.”

Joshua refused to say what the operation was but it is understood the procedure he had was linked to the issue diagnosed after his defeat by Ruiz.

Joshua opens up at last

Joshua had hinted previously that he had something to reveal about what went on before his first career defeat and, after initial hesitation, provided at least some insight to the 5 Live Boxing podcast.

Theories aired in the interim had ranged from him having shown the effects of being concussed in sparring to having a seizure before the bout at Madison Square Garden.

He now says he feels “back” and “focused”.

The two-time world heavyweight champion also said he learned a valuable lesson not to accept opponents at short notice – Ruiz was drafted in six weeks before their fight after American Jarrell Miller failed three drug tests.

Joshua, who will return to the UK in the early hours of Monday morning with the IBF, WBA and WBO belts, was on the front of Sunday’s Saudi newspapers, alongside Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman, who attended his fight.

Despite widespread criticism of staging the bout in a country criticised for its human rights record, Joshua said he would “100%” be happy to return to the kingdom on holiday or to perform.

‘All challengers are welcome’

Joshua is now expected to face either the WBO’s mandatory challenger – currently Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk – or the man in the same position with the IBF, Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev.

He said he was no longer interested in calling out WBC champion Deontay Wilder for a historic bout with all four world heavyweight titles on the line.

Chasing a contest with compatriot Tyson Fury was also dismissed as Joshua said he hoped to focus on one “hurdle” at a time.

“Looking so far ahead it can be a blurry vision looking that far out,” Joshua told BBC Sport.

“Sooner or later I will be looking directly at the undisputed championship of the world.

“If the opportunity presents itself I will fight Wilder and Fury. Wilder has a fight with Fury in February. Once that is out of the way they can start mentioning my name.

“I can’t keep on fighting all the champions, the best in the division and then other people who say they want to step up don’t step up.

“All challengers are welcome to take on this current unified champion.”

Joshua said to defend his belts “on home soil would be big news” after promoter Eddie Hearn revealed he had been in discussions over a fight at Tottenham’s new 60,000-capacity stadium, most likely against Pulev.

“It would be mega,” Joshua added. “Looking at how many people came out here shows there is still a big interest in the heavyweight division, especially now we are taking the belts back.

“Sometimes it would be better against a Brit, but if not I follow the mandatories and defend them that way.”

News

Obeena Delivers Show-Stopping Performance at Igbotic Game Night in East London

Published

on

East Ham, East London — 8 August 2026: The vibrant Igbo community in the UK came together for an unforgettable evening of entertainment, culture and social connection at Igbotic Game Night, one of the biggest social gatherings celebrating the Igbo community in the United Kingdom.

Among the night’s standout moments was an electrifying performance by Afrobeats artist Obeena, who took the stage and immediately captured the attention of the crowd.

Obeena delivered performances of two of his hit songs, “Wara Wara” and “Banging,” bringing his energetic sound and distinctive stage presence to the event. From the opening moments of his set, fans responded with excitement, singing along, dancing and enthusiastically supporting the artist.

His performance of “Wara Wara” created an instant connection with the audience, while “Banging” took the energy to another level. Obeena’s ability to engage the crowd transformed his set into one of the most memorable entertainment moments of the evening.

Held in East Ham, East London, on 8 August 2026, Igbotic Game Night provided a unique platform for members of the Igbo community to celebrate their heritage while enjoying music, games and social interaction. Events such as this continue to play an important role in bringing together Nigerians and the wider African diaspora in the UK.

For Obeena, the performance was another opportunity to showcase his growing artistry and connect directly with fans. His energetic delivery, stage confidence and ability to command the audience demonstrated why his live performances continue to attract attention.

By the end of his set, Obeena had left the crowd amazed and added another memorable chapter to his journey as an Afrobeats artist. His appearance at Igbotic Game Night was not simply a performance—it was a celebration of Nigerian music, culture and community.

 

With performances like this, Obeena continues to demonstrate his ambition to take his sound beyond the studio and onto major stages, connecting with audiences through music, energy and an unmistakable African identity.

Igbotic Game Night brought the Igbo community together. Obeena gave them a performance to remember.

Continue Reading

News

Afrocentric Music Festival Invites 1,000 Music Artists!

Published

on

Are you a rising African artist ready to take your career to the next level? Showcase your talent on a massive stage at the AFROCENTRIC Music Festival in Abuja, running from November 7–18, 2026! Presented by NICOCUSA’s AFROCENTRIC Cultural Expo, this premier platform is inviting 1,000 up-and-coming artists to perform live before tens of thousands of music lovers, industry insiders, and energetic fans. Don’t miss this life-changing opportunity to launch your music career on a global stage—slots are limited, so visit afrocentricculturalexpo.com to register today, and follow us on social media for live updates!

Continue Reading

Audio

KenryWhite Releases “Kilometers” & “The King” A Powerful Double Release Celebrating Faith, Purpose, and the Journey to Greatness

Published

on

Nigerian Afrofusion artist KenryWhite unveils his compelling two-track release, “Kilometers & The King,” a project that explores the realities of life’s journey while affirming identity, faith, and purpose.

Leading the release is “Kilometers,” an uplifting anthem that reflects on the distance between dreams and fulfillment. Through heartfelt lyrics, captivating melodies, and vibrant Afrobeats production, KenryWhite encourages listeners to embrace the process, remain resilient, and keep moving forward despite life’s challenges.

Complementing the project is “The King,” featuring Wonder J. The record is a bold declaration of confidence, royalty, and divine purpose, blending infectious Afrobeats rhythms with inspiring lyricism. Together, the duo delivers a record that celebrates self-belief, leadership, and the mindset required to overcome every obstacle.

With rich storytelling, memorable melodies, and contemporary African sounds, “Kilometers & The King” showcases KenryWhite’s artistic growth while delivering music that inspires, motivates, and connects with audiences across the globe.

Now available on all major streaming platforms, “Kilometers & The King” invites listeners to embrace the journey, recognize their worth, and walk confidently into their purpose.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.