Connect with us

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Wednesday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, NNPCL, has declared a state of emergency regarding crude oil production in Nigeria. The company declared war against all factors militating against crude oil production in Nigeria.

2. Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has criticised the hike of interest rate to almost 30 per cent by the Central Bank of Nigeria. Speaking at the Banquet Hall of the State House, Abuja, during the opening session of a three-day summit organised by the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, on Tuesday, he said with the present interest rate regime, it will be difficult to create jobs.

3. New tax laws are expected before the end of this year, Chairman of the Presidential Committee on Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms, Taiwo Oyedele, said on Tuesday. According to him, ten amendment bills have been sent to the National Assembly to address constitutional issues, including overlapping taxing rights.

4. President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio yesterday praised President Bola Tinubu for supporting Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Nyesom Wike, to deliver. According to him, the support has given Wike the confidence to restore Abuja to its original Master Plan.

5. The Director-General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Jide Idris, on Tuesday said that a total of 2,102 suspected cholera cases and 63 deaths have been recorded across 33 states and 122 local government areas in the country.

6. In 2023 alone, Nigerians spent a total of N16.5 trillion to buy diesel, petrol and generators to get electricity, the Federal Government announced on Tuesday. It also announced that the formal power sector, including electricity generation, transmission, and distribution companies, made a total revenue of N1tn last year amid the over N16tn spent by power consumers in the informal sector.

7. The Defence Headquarters, on Tuesday, described last Saturday’s suicide bombings in Borno State as acts of cowardice by Boko Haram terrorists. The DHQ, which insisted that Boko Haram insurgents have been significantly degraded, vowed a decisive clampdown on the terrorists.

8. Five men standing trial for the abduction and murder of a Fulani herder, Ibrahim Adamu, who until his death was selling cows at Owode-Ede, Osun State, were on Tuesday sentenced to death by hanging by an Osun State High Court. After Adamu’s abduction, he was moved into a secluded place in his Toyota Corolla car but was later killed despite paying N3 million ransom.

9. Nine people have died and about 5,000 households sacked by floods across 30 communities in Yobe State. The State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, disclosed this via its official Facebook page on Tuesday.

10. The House of Representatives has asked the Minister of Works, David Umahi, to immediately revoke the contract for the construction of the flooded East-West Road awarded to Rock Result Nigeria Limited and other contracts and re-award the same to a company with expertise and capacity.

 

General News

From Studio to Spotlight: Meet Espago, the 2025 Breakout Artist Shaping Afro‑Fusion

Published

on

At 31, Lagos-born Espago is redefining what it means to be a late bloomer in the Nigerian music
space. After spending years as a chef, designer, and farmer, Espago turned to music just a year
ago on a journey sparked by deep loss, life experience, and self-discovery.
What makes him different? It’s not just his sound, it’s his story. Espago brings a calm but
confident energy that mirrors his Lagos upbringing: a blend of vibrant Fuji rhythms and soulful
Afrobeat traditions like King Sunny Ade, shaped by global legends like Michael Jackson and
Celine Dion. His voice? Professionally trained. His brand? Stylish, grounded, and intentional.
Espago didn’t wait for the industry to find him; he found his own way in, teaching himself,
searching out producers, and building his identity from scratch. With no major label backing and
no big-name features, he has still built a brand marked by boldness, emotion, and Lagos street
authenticity.
He’s not just making music; he’s building a lifestyle brand. His creative roots are in food,
fashion, and music fused into something richer than just a “sound.” It’s a full experience. While
he hasn’t performed live yet, he’s putting in the work behind the scenes, mentoring new artists,
recording regularly to sharpen his voice and brand for bigger stages ahead.
In a scene dominated by speed, Espago’s journey is about intentional growth, honest
expression, and emotional connection.
As the new class of Afro‑HipHop begins to take shape, Espago stands out not just for what he’s
making, but for who he is becoming.

Continue Reading

General News

Edo Phenom Derriq Wants to Put Benin City on the Global Map

Published

on

Rising artist Derriq isn’t just making music for entertainment; he’s building a legacy rooted in culture, resilience, and pride. The Lagos-based Afro-soul and Afrobeats singer has his eyes set on something bigger than streaming numbers: putting his hometown of Benin City on the global creative map is his dream.
A native of Edo State, Derriq’s musical journey began as a child organizing school parties just for the chance to perform. Since then, he’s gone from studio assistant to full-fledged artist, releasing impactful tracks like “Position,” “Vibration,” and “Confidence.” His sound, described as smooth, calm, and party-ready, reflects the duality of his personality: laid-back yet determined, quiet but powerful.
Derriq is more than just a promising name on Nigeria’s growing music roster; he’s a symbol of the next generation of artists who blend regional identity with global appeal using his distinctive voice, a strong sense of direction, and his signature slang “Yehboo! Yezaiii!” making waves among fans, Derriq is proving that cultural authenticity still cuts through the noise.
His next single, “Omo n’ Ogie,” is a tribute to his heritage and a signal that he’s just getting started. Keep your eyes on Derriq, he’s not just singing for the moment, he’s singing for a movement.
Follow @DerriqMusic on all social platforms
For interviews and press: derriqmusic@gmail.com

Continue Reading

General News

The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Sunday

Published

on

Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:

1. President Bola Tinubu will address the nation in a broadcast today, Sunday, August 4, 2024. Mr Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday, saying the broadcast would hold at 7am.

2. The Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Yusuf Lawal, on Saturday confirmed the killing of four persons along Baga Road in Maiduguri, Borno State during the nationwide #EndBadGoverment protest. He said Boko Haram elements infiltrated the protesters and killed four persons on Thursday with explosives at a filling station.

3. Many persons have been feared killed while others sustained injuries as hoodlums clashed with security operatives in Kano. It was gathered that Rijiyar Lemo, Kurna to Bachirawa areas in Fagge Local Government, Kofar Nassarawa in Kano municipal and Unguwa Uku area of Tarauni Local Government are the worst hit areas.

4. The leadership of the organised labour, on Saturday, warned the Nigeria Police Force and other security forces to stop what it described as a “massacre” of protesters carrying out nationwide demonstrations against hunger in the land.

5. Leading Human Rights group, Amnesty International Nigeria, has said over 50 protesters were arrested in Abuja on the third day of the demonstration against hardship in the land.

6. Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria. Atiku in a statement on Saturday, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

7. Some of the organisers and supporters of the ongoing protest have set up pages to raise over N4bn through GoFundMe, a popular online crowdfunding platform. A check on Saturday showed that a total of N4.1bn had been benchmarked to be donated through accounts created by three GoFundMe users.

8. Tragedy struck again in Imo State on Saturday evening when some gunmen reportedly shot dead the President-General of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community in Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State, Hyginus Ohazurike. Six village heads from the autonomous community were also allegedly killed by the gunmen.

9. The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Bennett Igweh has said his men were not responsible for the death of a teenager in the Kubwa area of the FCT. In a viral video, a man claimed that police, while dispersing protesters, shot dead a teenager in the Kubwa area.

10. The Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Atiku Bagudu has said President Bola Tinubu is keeping an eye on the ongoing #EndBadGovernance demonstrations across the country.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2013 - 2020, 47vibez Media.