Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Despite the position of the National Working Committee of the Lagos State primaries held on Tuesday, where it argued that elections did not hold in the state, the Lagos APC has declared Babajide Sanwo-Olu as winner of the gubernatorial primary elections.The chairman of the party in the state, Tunji Balogun made the declaration at the state headquarters of the party in Ogba, Ikeja, on Tuesday night. According to him, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode scored 72,901 votes while Babajide Sanwo-Olu polled 970,851 votes.
2. A National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu, on Tuesday declared that Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode was not a good party man. Tinubu said though Ambode has done well in office but that the party decided against supporting the governor’s second term because he was not a good party man. He made the disclosure while addressing journalists at Ward C, Ikeja Local Government Area, after the conclusion of voting in the Lagos APC governorship primary.
3. Report says a yet-to-be-identified middle-aged man Tuesday jumped into the Lagos lagoon and died. According to the report, the deceased jumped into the lagoon after trekking on the Third Mainland Bridge inwards Lagos Island.
4. The Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, has again picked the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, ticket for the Enugu West Senatorial District. In the Senatorial primary conducted at the Enugu West Zonal Headquarters, Awgu, on Tuesday, Ekweremadu polled 690 votes to beat his closest rival, Mr. Isaac Okah, who garnered 84 votes. Others in the election were Mr. Ogochukwu Onyema who polled 61 votes, while Mr. Uche Onyekwelu and Mr. Oscar Egwuonwu polled 22 votes and 5 votes, respectively.
5. The All Progressives Congress (APC) Tuesday released the list of aspirants screened and cleared for its senatorial primaries. The list was approved by the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party. The exercise will hold across states this week.
6. Senator Dino Melaye was on Tuesday affirmed as the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, flagbearer for Kogi West senatorial district for the 2019 general election. There was a twist in the primary as four other contenders in the race were not cleared by the party screening committee while two others stepped down for the Senator who just returned from the APC to the party.
7. A bid by Senator Gilbert Nnaji to return to the Senate in 2019 suffered a setback on Tuesday. This is as a former Governor of Enugu State, Senator Chimaroke Nnamani polled majority of the votes cast in Nkanu West, venue of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, senatorial primary for Enugu West Senatorial Zone. While Chimaroke scored 597 votes, Nnaji came distant second with 69 votes.
8. Senator Bassey Akpan was on Tuesday declared winner of Akwa Ibom North-East Senatorial District primaries of the Peoples Democratic Party,PDP. Arthur Nwankwo, a member of the National Electoral Committee declared Akpan, who is the incumbent senator representing the district as winner. Nwankwo said the senator polled 898 votes to defeat his closest rival, Mr Usenobong Akpabio, who polled 131 votes.
9. Less than a week after the Nigerian Army searching for missing General Idris Alkali (rtd) found his car and belongings, the military on Tuesday pulled out another vehicle from the mining pond in Dura Du, Jos South LGA of Plateau State. Addressing journalists after the second vehicle was pulled out, Commander of Operation Safe Haven, Major General Agustine Agundu, said a Toyoto Hiace Bus with registration no Plateau, RYM 307 XA was pulled out, adding that there are 3 more vehicles and other mysteries in the water.
10. President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) Rev. Samson Ayokunle has condemned the killing of Christian youths following the discovery of the vehicle of a missing ex-soldier inside a mysterious water, saying he doesn’t know why Christians should be attacked in retaliation of the missing soldier.