The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Thursday
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, swore-in his 43 Ministers and assigned portfolios to them. The President retained the position of the Petroleum Minister.
2. President Muhammadu Buhari, Wednesday, insisted that there is no law in Nigeria that requires him to produce his certificates in a bid to prove his eligibility to run for Presidency. Buhari argued that under the 1999 Constitution, he was only required to be educated.
3. The Nigerian Army yesterday, said that Lance Corporal Ajayi Johnson, the soldier who shot and killed a motorcycle rider, Chimaobi Nwaogu, of Umuokereke-Ngwa, in Obingwa LGA Abia State, was duly charged, tried and reduced to the rank of a private and subsequently dismissed from Service.
4. The Federal High Court in Lagos, on Tuesday, declined to order the release of Omoyele Sowore and other persons in connection with the RevolutionNow protest.
5. The National and State Assembly Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Kaduna, on Wednesday dismissed the petition of Senator Shehu Sani of the People’s Redemption Party (PRP) challenging the victory of the elected Kaduna Central Senator, Uba Sani of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
6. The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, on Wednesday vowed to fight Igbo leaders, including the Chairman of the South East Governors Forum and Governor of Ebonyi state, chief David Umahi for threatening its leader, Nnamdi Kanu.
7. The Lagos State Police Command, on Wednesday, officially confirmed that four policemen are to face murder charges for allegedly killing two suspected armed robbers in their custody.
8. The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Wednesday prayed the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal to dismiss the petition filed by Atiku Abubakar and the PDP, that it used a central server during the last election. INEC described the petition as worthless.
9. President Muhammadu Buhari, on Wednesday, approved the re-appointment of Femi Adesina as Special Adviser, Media and Publicity. He also approved the re-appointment of Malam Garba Shehu as Senior Special Assistant, Media and Publicity.
10. The PDP on Wednesday described the inauguration of Ministers by President Muhammadu Buhari as a poor parade of recycled foot-travellers, many of whom have failed Nigerians in governance assignments.