The Newspapers – Things You Need To Know This Thursday
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspaper:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday, said that Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria, ruling out the influence of ethnicity and religion. Buhari said this while receiving members of the Muhammadu Buhari/Osinbajo (MBO) Dynamic Support Group, who visited the State House, Abuja, to present a compendium of five years achievements of the administration.
2. Kingsley Kanu, a sibling of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), says his brother was arrested in Kenya. In a statement on Wednesday, Kingsley said Kenyan authorities detained his brother until he was extradited to Nigeria.
3. President Emmanuel Macron of France has appointed billionaire businessman, Abdul Samad Rabiu, as the President of France-Nigeria Business Council. Macron appointed Rabiu, Founder/Chairman of Nigeria’s BUA Group, as the inaugural President of the council at a business summit in France.
4. The United Kingdom has said it will seek clarification from the Federal Government on the circumstances and legality of the arrest of Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra. Head of Communications, British High Commission, Mr Dean Hurlock, stated this yesterday.
5. The Lagos State Police Command has explained that Chidinma Ojukwu, the prime suspect in the killing of the Chief Executive Officer of Super TV, Usifo Ataga, has not been charged to court due to the ongoing investigations. The Police Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi told newsmen yesterday.
6. A socio-political organisation, Arewa Consultative Forum, has expressed concern over the increasing wave of insecurity across the northern states, stressing that youth unemployment in the region was a time bomb. This was contained in a communiqué signed by Shehu Malami at the end of its meeting on Wednesday.
7. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Wednesday, asked President Muhammadu Buhari to stop hallucinating as the lifespan of his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), will not extend beyond the end of his tenure on May 29, 2023. This was contained in a statement on Wednesday by Kola Ologbondiyan, Publicity Secretary of the party.
8. The Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mele Kyari, will, today brief the Senate on the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) 2021. Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, made this known on Wednesday during plenary.
9. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a couple for allegedly defrauding unsuspecting victims in a N935 million ponzi scheme. EFCC Head of Media, Wilson Uwujaren in a statement said the suspects, in complicity with their son (still at large), operate the scheme in the guise of forex trading.
10. A combined team of operatives from the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, Command’s Special Squad and task force, raided some blackspots at the Ebutte Meta area of Lagos on Wednesday when over 144 suspects were arrested. The state’s Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi disclosed this yesterday.