Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday received the All Progressives Congress (APC) forms to contest the presidential primaries of the party. He thanked those who purchased the forms and assured of his commitment to the Change agenda. He asked other groups offering to buy his nomination form to redirect their contributions to the Not Too Young To Run wing of the APC.
2. The Federal Ministry of Transportation has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Japan for cooperation in promoting quality Infrastructure investment and continuing cooperative relationship between Nigeria and Japan. Minister of Transportation, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi signed the MoU with Japan’s State Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Tsukasa Akimoto in Abuja.
3. Report says Akinwunmi Ambode’s quest to be re-elected as Lagos State Governor for a second term may have run into troubled waters as 50 council chairmen loyal to Ahmed Bola Tinubu, Ambode’s estranged godfather, met yesterday and pledged their support for Jide Sanyaolu Sanwonolu, who is alleged to be Tinubu’s preferred choice. The council chairmen are arguably the most influential grassroots mobilisers under the direct primary system adopted by APC, to pick governorship candidates.
4. Nigeria has defeated Liberia 2-1 in an international friendly on Tuesday night. The game, played at the Samuel Kanyon Doe Sports Complex, was arranged in honour of the country’s president and 1995 FIFA World Player of the Year, George Weah. Goals by Henry Onyekuru and Simeon ‘Simy’ Nwankwo made the difference. Kpah Sherman, however, scored the only goal for the hosts from the penalty spot.
5. The National Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Maimala Buni, on Tuesday said that President Muhammadu Buhari is the sole candidate of the party for the 2019 Presidential election. However, the APC scribe also said that party members interested in contesting for the presidency, were free to pick the nomination form, but that the National Executive Council (NEC) of the party had already endorsed the President.
6. The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), the research unit of The Economist Magazine, has predicted that the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will defeat the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate in the 2019 presidential election. EIU stated this in its latest country forecast overview on Nigeria which was made public on Tuesday. The EIU, which gave an array of reasons for its prediction, said even though it would be a close call, the opposition PDP would win the election.
7. Media Mogul, Dele Momodu, Tuesday disclosed that billionaire businessman, Femi Otedola has accepted to run for the Lagos State governorship election under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party. The media mogul confirmed this on Twitter.
8. Former governor of Kano state, Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso, has said that only him can defeat President Muhammadu Buhari and as such would prefer to go for the primary rather than backing down for anybody. According to him, what is important is for the PDP to present a popular candidate who can beat Buhari in the 2019 presidential election.
9. Unknown gunmen have killed one Rev. Fr Jude Egbom of St. Patrick’s Parish, Amuchu of the Catholic Diocese of Orlu in Imo State. Report says Fr. Egbom was assassinated while having his haircut in his hometown.
10. Former Governor of Kano State, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau, on Tuesday picked up nomination forms, to contest for a senatorial ticket under the All Progressives Congress. This was confirmed by Salihu Tanko Yakasai, a media aide to the incumbent Kano Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje. Yakasai expressed optimism that Shekarau would be replacing the former Gov of Kano State, Senator Kwankwaso.
Check these Out
- 10 Best Ways to Make Money on The Internet
- 5 Reasons You Should Always Check Your Insurance
- 6 Ways to Earn Cash with Fiverr at Home