Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari, Monday afternoon from London spoke to President Donald Trump on telephone at the request of the American President. Trump in the conversation reportedly promised to support Nigeria in the fight against insurgency and extended invitation to Buhari to come to the White House at his most convenient time.
2. Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh, has confirmed that she has separated from her husband, Oladunni Churchill. She disclosed this on her Instagram account while responding to questions from her fans. She equally said she has blocked her husband from accessing their son since they parted ways.
3. The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has said it was crazy for anyone to have doubted his last week’s visit to President Muhammadu Buhari. In a statement on Monday, Tinubu, a former Governor of Lagos State, said mischief makers were behind the news that he did not visit the President.
4. The presidency has said that President Muhammadu Buhari may speak to Nigerians via telephone for the first time since he embarked on a medical vacation to London. Buhari’s Media Adviser, Femi Adesina said this while on live political programme on Channels Tv.
5. Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, has called for the protection of whistleblowers who are helping the government to recover looted funds hidden across the country. President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Ayuba Wabba, said this on Monday in Abuja. He spoke during a protest organized by the NLC and the Medical and Health Workers Union of Nigeria over the decision of the Minister of State for Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, to reinstate the Chief Medical Director of the Federal Medical Centre, Dr. Angela Uwakwem.
6. The Commandant-General, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Mr Abdullahi Muhammadu, has called on Nigerians to disregard speculations that the Corps was recruiting and doing replacement secretly. The spokesperson of the Corps, Mr Emmanuel Okeh, in a statement issued on Monday said there was neither open nor secret recruitment ongoing.
7. Operatives of the Lagos State Police Command have rescued the kidnapped Secretary of an Estate in Isheri area of the state, Dayo Adekoya. He was reunited with his family in the early hours of Monday.
8. Nigerian governors have called for an emergency meeting over the ongoing probe of how they spent the N522bn Paris Club loan refund which was shared to states in December 2016, by the Federal Government. Report says the meeting will address some of the issues raised by the EFCC.
9. Two persons have been reportedly killed after a tanker loaded with petrol skidded off the road and spilled its content at Coconut under bridge along Apapa Road, Lagos State, resulting into fire. About 29 vehicles parked in a mechanic workshop under the bridge were also burnt, while two cars inside a garage in the area were razed.
10. The Senate, Monday, expressed its anger with the Code of Conduct Bureau, CCB, for abandoning its ongoing office project valued at N8 billion. It also blasted the CCB for its failure to give detailed and realistic presentation of expenditures undertaken during the course of the 2016 budget year.