Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. An audio of an alleged conversation between Mamman Daura, a cousin of President Muhammadu Buhari and one of his closest supporter, Mamman Tukur, a perceived member of his cabal, has been obtained. During the conversation, Daura referred to the president’s wife, Aisha, as a suicide bomber from Yola, while also discussing the health condition of the president.
2. Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, on Monday announced that the Federal Executive Council has agreed to concession the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos and Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja. The vice president while speaking at the fifth edition of the presidential quarterly business forum which held at the State House, Abuja said once the concession is done, the airport would be managed by private firms and investors.
3. Justice Nnamdi Dimgba of an Abuja Federal High Court on Monday dismissed the suit by Kogi West Senator, Dino Melaye, challenging his recall process, instituted by his constituents. The judge ruled that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, shall proceed with the recall process.
4. Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, on Monday expressed displeasure over the ongoing debates on re-election by some politicians in the country. The playwright noted that the current administration had barely gone halfway, wondering why people were already planning to fill political positions.
5. Operatives of the Tin-Can Island Command of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, have busted a syndicate that smuggled weapons into the country. No fewer than 1,100 pump action rifles were loaded in a 20 foot container the gang shipped into the country. The weapons believed to have been brought from Turkey, were concealed inside a container which Bill of Laden showed was conveying wash hand basins.
6. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo has said that ex-President ,Goodluck Jonathan failed to pay adequate attention to tackling insurgency in the North-East region when he was in power because he thought Boko Haram was a device by the North to remove him from office. Obasanjo was speaking during an interview on BBC.
7. Ifeanyi Dike, the suspected ritual killer who was re-arrested last week, after escaping to Jos from Port Harcourt police cell has said that the detained IPO was not responsible for his escape as he only escaped on his own. He, however ,disclosed that he was rearrested in Jos after he stabbed a Hausa boy and was taken to the police station. He said he willingly revealed his identity to the officers.
8. The Nigerian Air Force has disclosed that it sighted two flags hoisted by Boko Haram terrorists on some buildings in the Zanari area of Borno State, which borders the Lake Chad. NAF added that its fighter aircraft, the F-7Ni and the Alpha Jet, consequently struck the buildings and killed a number of insurgents holding meetings at the location.
9. Report says a policeman in Akwa Ibom State has killed Imo Ekanem, a final year student of the Department of Mass Communication, Uyo City Polytechnic, over his refusal to give him N100 bribe. He was allegedly shot dead following a heated argument over the demand from the officer.
10. Former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar has vowed that if given a chance to rule the country, he will fight corruption to a standstill. Atiku also challenged those he described as his self-righteous political enemies to prove that he is corrupt, otherwise, they should keep quiet. He spoke in Abuja on Monday.