Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. One of the wives of former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, Taiwo, has filed a suit at the Lagos State High Court, Ikeja where she is asking the court to stop the wedding of their son, Olujonwo, that has already been fixed for 11 and 12, May, 2017. Mrs. Obasanjo is seeking for a postponement of the wedding of her son, Olujonwo, to Tope Adebutu, a daughter of Sir Kessington Adebutu, popularly known as ‘Baba Ijebu over her non involvement in the preparation for the said wedding. Those included in suit are Obasanjo and the father of the bride, Adebutu.
2. The Vice Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, ABU, Zaria, Professor Ibrahim Garba Monday confirmed that Nigerian Senator, Dino Melaye who bears Daniel Jonah Melaye while in the university actually graduated from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria with third class in Geography in the year, 2000. The VC made the confirmation following his appearance before the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges at Monday’s hearing on the allegation of certificate forgery levelled against Melaye.
3. Relatively, Former Senate Leader, Ali Ndume who called for the former investigation of Kogi West Senator, Dino Melaye has now agreed that the Senator truly graduated from ABU Zaria, arguing that his call for an investigation was to ensure that the integrity of the Senate was maintained.
4. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has directed all banks to immediately begin the sale of forex for BTA, PTA, Tuition and Medical fees to customers at not more than N360 per dollar Emefiele. The Apex bank said it will sell to banks at 357 naira per dollar. Banks are to post the new rates in the banking halls of their branches immediately.
5. The Comptroller-General of Customs Compliance Task Force, has disclosed that it has impounded 223 vehicles. It said that of the impounded vehicles, 13 belong to a senator in Kano State. The task force also said that it seized other items, including foodstuffs worth N269.5m in Kano and Jigawa states within eight months.
6. Senate President, Bukola Saraki, Monday appeared before Senate Committee on Public Petitions, Ethics and Privileges investigating him over alleged SUV Jeep impounded by the Nigerian Customs Service, denying that he was involved in any importation of a bulletproof SUV Jeep, saying he is neither an importer nor involved in the importation of the said vehicle by using any agent on his behalf.
7. The naira on Monday further appreciated against the dollar in the parallel market, as it was exchanged for N385 per dollar. The parallel market exchange rate dropped from an average of N390 per dollar to N385 per dollar at the close of business yesterday.
8. The Nigerian Governors’ Forum, NGF, against the backdrop of reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, had indicted Senate President Dr Bukola Saraki, his aides, and Robert Mbonu, a consultant the NGF hired, for money laundering to the tune N3.5 billion, has said in a statement that there was no illegality in the transaction. The statement said Mbonu’s Melrose General Services Limited was duly hired as a consultant and that it was paid an amount commensurate to its services.
9. Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State has set up a 5-man commission of enquiry to unravel the remote and immediate cause of the bloody crisis that ravaged the ancient city of Ile-ife on March 8. The Commission, was given four weeks duration to complete it job. Justice M.A Adeigbe is the chairman. Others are Mrs. Bose Dawodu DCP (rtd), Barrister Ismail Ajibade, the State Commissioner of Police, the State Director of DSS and Mr. Bisi Babalola who will act as the secretary.
10. The immediate past President, Goodluck Jonathan, on Monday said he was never involved in any certificate scandal. Jonathan made the denial while reacting to a report which named him as one of those said to have been involved in certificate scandal. A statement by his media aide Ikechukwu Eze, said it was wrong to have linked the former President to certificate scandal.
Check these Out
- 10 Best Ways to Make Money on The Internet
- 5 Reasons You Should Always Check Your Insurance
- 6 Ways to Earn Cash with Fiverr at Home