Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Dr Taiwo Sholaja, a leading pathologist in the postmortem investigation of late Senator Isiaka Adeleke on Wednesday told the Coroner Inquest panel that no traces of poison was found in the system of the deceased when it was examined, affirming that overdose was the possible cause of his death. Sholaja, while giving evidence before the Coroner said the autopsy carried out by him and two other pathologists from LAUTECH Hospital revealed that the late Senator died of aspiration of gastric content due to multiple drug overdose.
2. Chocolate City boss, Audu Maikori has dragged Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, to ourt for gross violation of his human rights. In a suit (FHC/ABJ/CS/385/17) filed by his lawyers, Ballason’s Chambers at the Federal High Court, Abuja, Maikori is seeking damages to the tune of N10billion. Maikori is praying the court to enforce his fundamental rights against undue harassment and intimidation by the Kaduna State government, the State Governor and the Nigeria Police.
3. A former Acting State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Bayelsa State, Mr. Christopher Hobobo, was Wednesday murdered by unknown gunmen. He was assassinated in his residence on PDP Road, Yenagoa, the state capital. Hobobo was stabbed by the gunmen.
4. Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, says there is no decision yet on who will assent the 2017 budget. He said this on Wednesday while addressing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by Acting President Yemi Osinbajo. He said when it (the budget) is transmitted to the Presidency, the decision on who to sign will be taken.
5. Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo on Wednesday confirmed that another Chibok schoolgirl had been found. The development came about 2 weeks after Boko Haram released 82 Chibok girls. Femi Adesina, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, told State House correspondents in Abuja, that the recovery of the girl was announced by the acting president during the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting.
6. The Senate on Wednesday gave a two-week ultimatum to the executive to submit the 2017 budgets of Federal Government agencies, corporations and parastatals.
The lawmakers issued the ultimatum at a plenary following a motion by the Deputy Majority Leader, Senator Bala Ibn Na’Allah, on the alleged non-compliance with Section 21 of the Fiscal Responsibility Act by some government agencies.
7. The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, has refused to appear before the House of Representatives to testify in the ongoing investigation into the $43.4m (about N13bn) recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission from an apartment at Osborne Towers, Ikoyi, Lagos, saying such will be a breach of the National Security Agencies Act.
8. The Northern Elders Forum has declared that the Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo cannot replace President Muhammadu Buhari in 2019 should anything happen to Buhari. Chairman of Northern Elders Forum, Professor Ango Abdullahi, said should President Muhammadu Buhari fail to seek re-election in 2019, the North must retain the presidency by fielding a candidate through the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, party.
9. Real Madrid superstar, Cristiano Ronaldo has created history as he is now the all-time top scorer in the five biggest leagues in Europe. He made history after scoring for Real Madrid against Celta Vigo on Wednesday. The strike moved him past Jimmy Greaves as he has 367 league goals to his name.
10. The Acting President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo will sign the 2017 budget when it’s sent. This was made known by his media aide, Mr. Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the Acting President m