Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The National Caretaker Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, led by Ahmed Makarfi has alleged that a cabal has taken over the affairs of the government. This is in reaction to the failure of President Muhammadu Buhari to attend for the 4th time the FEC meeting on Wednesday.
2. Report says a factional leader of the Boko Haram terrorists, Abubakar Shekau, has been been injured following Wednesday airstrike by the Nigerian Air Force on Balla village, near Damboa in the Sambisa Forest.The report also claimed that one of Shekau’s deputies, Abba Mustapha, was was one of those killed in the airstrike.
3. Report says the three-man panel set up by President Muhammadu Buhari to investigate the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal and Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), will submit its findings on Monday. This is contained in a statement by Osinbajo’s spokesman, Laolu Akande.
4. A group, the Northern Patriotic Assembly (NPA) has warned political leaders from the South West against exploiting President Muhammadu Buhari’s health. The group particularly cautioned the national leader of the APC, Bola Tinubu to stop using the ill-health of the president for political gains, saying such action was immoral and despicable.
5. Report says a 25-year-old corps member, Charity Thilza,from Borno State who was to pass out from her National Youth Service Corps programme in Abuja today has been killed by some unknown gunmen. She was allegedly killed by some robbers along Wuse 2 Road while she was returning home from Caribbean Night Club, Wuse 2, around 3am on Monday.
6. A staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Yisa Olanrewaju Adedoyin, has pleaded guilty to receiving the sum of N70,050,000.00 from the N23 billion alleged Diezani Allison-Madueke’s bribe for them to compromise electoral officers before the 2015 general election. Adedoyin alongside Christian Nwosu and Tijani Inda Bashir were re-arraigned Wednesday on an amended six-count charge bordering on receiving gratification to the tune of N264, 880, 000.00.
7. Nigerian Government has rejected the survey by Reporters Without Borders, which say that Nigeria’s press freedom rating has been on sustained decline since 2015. Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed said in a statement that President Muhammadu Buhari’s Administration is committed to the freedom of the press, and has not put a single journalist behind bars since it took over government.
8. Popular RnB singer, Bankole Wellington also known as Banky W, has announced his engagement to Actress, Adesua Etomi. The singer who has been under pressure to get married revealed this on his instagram page @Bankywellington at the early hours of Wednesday. According to him, he secretly proposed to Adesua in February 2017.
9. In sports, Juventus defeated Monacco 2-0 Wednesday night and now favorite to play in the final of the UEFA Champions League ahead of the second leg. Argentina striker, Gonzalo Higuain scored twice to give Juventus the much needed victory.
10. Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, Wednesday, alleged there is a plot by Nigeria’s anti-graft agency, Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC), to plant huge sum of money and other items in his guest house in Enugu. He said a letter from an unnamed “good Samaritan” revealed that the EFCC was planning to plant the money in different international currencies on his property in Enugu and then subsequently effect a raid.