Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Some Boko Haram commanders, who were swapped with 82 Chibok girls, have reportedly threatened to bomb Abuja in new video obtained by international journalist, Ahmad Salkida. Salkida, who has close links with the insurgent group, said the video released by the Abubakar Shekau faction, featured one Shuaibu Moni, a Boko Haram commander who was one of those allegedly swapped for the girls. He said Moni threatened to bomb Abuja in an attack.
2. Troops of 145 and 158 Task Force Battalions, 5 Brigade Nigerian Army, have neutralized a fish smuggling ring perpetrated by Boko Haram terrorists to fund their criminal activities. The success was recorded during a joint ambush operation conducted in Julari village, along Kareto – Damasak road, Borno State. Four insurgents were killed in the process.
3. The Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) has denied that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has frozen its accounts. The Director of Media of the NGF, Abdulrazak Barkindo, denied the reports on Saturday. Barkindo said that an earlier decision of the court to stop usage of the NGF’s account had been lifted.
4. Four of the Chibok girls believed to be among the over 200 girls abducted by Boko Haram have pledged their allegiance to Boko Haram in a new video. Speaking on behalf of the girls, one Esther Yakubu said they refused to go home because they have seen that people out there were infidel and will not make heaven.
5. The Management of Akwa Ibom State University says the institution has expelled 21 students for various offences committed in 2016. Vice Chancellor, Prof. Eno Ibanga, told newsmen in Ikot Akpaden, on Saturday that the students were expelled for various offences ranging from phone theft to grievous harm, among others.
6. The JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede has given update on first day of the CBT. He said the conduct of the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, across 624 Computer Based Test, CBT, centres in Nigeria was successful.
7. The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has cautioned members of the public against letters of contracts purportedly awarded by the commission in circulation, saying they are fake. The commission said in a statement on Saturday in Lagos, that its attention had been drawn to the circulation some fake letters of award of various contracts purportedly written by its Secretary, asking the public to disregard it.
8. Report has it that the ongoing probe of the Emirate Council and Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, over alleged misappropriation of N6bn of emirates fund has been put on hold. This was disclosed by the Chairman of the Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-corruption Commission, Muhuyi Magaji.
9. Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo is yet to receive the 2017 Appropriation Bill, 72 hours after it was passed by the National Assembly, the presidency has said. Osinbajo’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr Laolu Akande, disclosed this in a statement on his Twitter handle.
10. There was tension in Ayede Ogbese, Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State on Saturday as residents protested the arrest of a suspected thug in the town, Adebo Ademola by the police. The protesters mainly youths made attempts to set the police post in the town ablaze, but for the timely intervention of the police.