Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Report says the police have arrested a soldier identified as Lance Corporal, Victor Chukwunonso, alleged to be a gang member of the notorious kidnap kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike aka Evans. Chukunonso with Army No: 09/NA/64/6317 is attached to the Nigerian Army Band Corps, Abatti Barracks, Surulere, Lagos.
2. The Sultan of Sokoto and President-General Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, Saturday declared Sunday (Today) June 25 equivalent of Shawwal 1 Sallah. Declaring the new moon Saturday night at his Palace in Sokoto, Alhaji Abubakar said the new moon was sighted in parts of the country including Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.
3. Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike has sacked all members of the State Executive Council. The sack of the Commissioners came 48 hours after he sacked his Commissioner for Works, Bathuel Harrison. The dissolution of the members of the State Executive Council is contained in a statement by his Special Adviser on Electronic Media, Simeon Nwakaudu.
4. Taraba State Governor, Darius Ishaku, on Saturday, strongly condemned the ongoing crisis between Fulani herdsmen and farmers in Mambilla Plateau, Sardauna Local Government of the state. The governor, however, denied the claims by herdsmen that he gave an order for the extermination of the Fulani ethnic group in the state.
5. The co-convener of the Coalition of Northern Groups and leader of Arewa Consultative Youth Forum, Shettima Yerima, has reacted to a statement by human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, SAN, where he claimed that the person who issued a quit notice to the Igbos live in Lagos. In his reaction, Shettima said even though he lives in Lagos, he is more popular than Falana, insisting he has the backing of the northern elders.
6. Former Lagos governor and All Progressives Congress (APC) national leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has called on Nigerians to ignore those calling for violence or issuing quit notice to other Nigerians. According to him, Nigeria can be a stronger, a more unified and a prosperous nation if citizens listen to the genuine concerns of others with the spirit of understanding.
7. Portugal and Mexico Saturday qualified for the semi-finals of the ongoing Confederation Cup. While Portugal defeated New Zealand 4-0 to advance, Mexico beat hosts Russia 2-1 to scale through.
8. Also in sports, Super Eagles’ striker, Victor Anichebe has joined Chinese second tier side, Beijing Enterprises – on a free transfer. Anichebe joins another Nigerian at the club James Leke. Anichebe was released at the end of last season by Sunderland following their relegation from the Premier League.
9. The Police have revealed they are under pressure to release kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, alias Evans. Acting Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Galadanshi Dasuki, while addressing newsmen on Saturday at the Command Headquarters in Ikeja, said they will not release Evans, despite calls from different quarters to do so.
10. President Muhammadu Buhari has warned Nigerians against making reckless statements. Buhari, who is on medical leave in the UK, made this known in a message on the occasion of Eid-el-Fitr. According to a statement issued by his spokesman, Garba Shehu, the president urged all citizens to live together in peace.