Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Residents of Lagos on saturday were confronted with flood due to a heavy downpour on Friday night and Saturday morning. Report says several homes and roads were flooded in popular areas including Ajah, Ikoyi, Lekki and Victoria Island, VGC, Banana Island and others.Reports claim that many fled after their homes were flooded.
2. The police has dismissed report that the notorious kidnapper in their custody, Evans has disappeared from their custody. Abba Kyari, head of the Intelligence Response Team of the Nigeria Police Force, said the report was a fake and must be disregarded as the suspect is still in their custody and investigation ongoing.
3. A lawyer and medical practitioner, John Larry Ojukoko Esq. and Dr. Ejiro Imuere, have approached a Federal High Court sitting in Warri, Delta State, seeking an order of mandamus compelling the Senate President and Speaker, House of Representatives, to set up a medical panel to examine the medical fitness of ailing President Muhammadu Buhari and remove him if he can no longer continue. Joined in the suit are the Acting President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, and the Attorney General of the Federation.
4. A report has now claimed that the notorious kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, aka Evans, and his accomplices have now been moved to the Force Investigation and Intelligence Department, Garki, Abuja for further investigations.
The report says the suspects were moved from Lagos to Abuja last Monday by men of the IG Intelligence Response Team to ensure thorough investigation into their criminal activities.
5. The Senator representing Kogi West Senatorial District, Dino Melaye has asked Governor Udom Emmanuel of Akwa Ibom State and Senator Godswill Akpabio to dump the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and join the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). Senator Melaye stated this in a goodwill message at the first constituency briefing of Senate Minority Leader, Godswill Akpabio which held yesterday at Ikot Ekpene Township Stadium. He said his party, the APC, would need performing individuals like them.
PDP vs APC: Adeleke beats Hussain to win Osun West by-election [Full result]
6. The Nigerian Army has launched operation “Deep Punch” in the Northeast to clear remnants of Boko Haram from the Sambisa forest This was disclosed in Okene on Saturday by the Chief of Army staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai at the commissioning of Forward Operational Base constructed by the Kogi State government.
The Chief of Army staff said that the launch of operation “deep punch” followed the successful decimation of insurgents in the zone.
7. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has won the bye-election for Osun West Senatorial district conducted on Saturday. The Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) concluded collation of results early Sunday morning.
Official results show that the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Senator Mudashiru Hussein won only his local government. Ademola Adeleke of the PDP won 9 out of the 10 local government areas where the election held.
8. Senator Andy Uba representing Anambra South in the Senate has said that move by some youths in the state to recall him from the National Assembly will not work. In a statement through his media aide, Uchem Obi, he described the plot to recall him as a nullity and a waste of time.
9. US President, Donald Trump, on Saturday pledged to donate $639million in aid to feed people facing starvation because of drought and conflict in North-East Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen. Trump’s pledge came during a working session of the G20 summit of world leaders in Hamburg, Germany.
10. A former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, revealed on Saturday that late dictator, Gen. Sani Abacha wanted him, the late Shehu Musa Yar’Adua and late Moshood Abiola, dead while in prison. The former president alleged that Yar’Adua was poisoned by Abacha’s killer squad, adding that he was to be next victim, but that he was saved by God’s divine grace.