Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari, Friday met with some of the 36 State Governors at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. The President also met with the leadership of the two main political parties in the country where he said that a viable opposition was important in every government.
2. The Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, has been accused of extorting money, ranging from N10m to N15m, from Commissioners of Police, State Mobile Commanders and Special Protection Units (SPU) Commanders, for favourable postings. IGP Idris also allegedly makes N10bn monthly from oil companies and other private individuals who enjoy special protection from the security agency. This was revealed Chairman, Senate Committee on Navy, Isah Hamma Misau on Friday in Abuja.
3. The Federal Government has again asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to revoke the bail granted the leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, Namdi Kanu. Kanu is being prosecuted along with others on treasonable felony charges. The prosecution made this request in an application it filed before the court and served on Kanu on Friday.
4. Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose has said that he did not deliberately shun President Muhammadu Buhari’s meeting with governors on Friday. Fayose said he was unable to attend the meeting because it clashed with his chieftaincy installation. The governor was conspicuously missing on Friday when Buhari met with the nation’s governors.
5. One person has been confirmed killed, while seven others have been declared missing following a boat mishap in Ugborodo community in Warri South-West Local Government Area of Delta State. The cause of the incident has remained sketchy.
6. President Muhammadu Buhari, on Friday commended State Governors for their leadership role while he was nursing his health in London. He also commended the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo for standing in for him and doing a great job for the nation while his medical vacation lasted.
7. Report has it that 9mobile customers in Cross River State are still grumbling as they are still unable to connect to their relations, business associates and others via the network. The network has been down close to a week now and the management has not informed the public on what may be responsible for the shutdown.
8. President Muhammdu Buhari’s speech, rumors of Funke Akindele’s pregnancy and the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) cut off mark dominated searches on the internet search engine Google this week. Google’s spokesman, Taiwo Kola-Ogunlade, said this in a statement on Friday in Lagos.
9. The Senator representing Anambra North in the National Assembly and an aspirant in the forthcoming governorship election in Anambra, Stella Oduah, has alleged irregularities in the Peoples’ Democratic Party’s (PDP) build-up to the primary election. Oduah, who threatened to withdraw from the race under the platform of the PDP, made this known while briefing newsmen on Friday in Abuja.
10. No fewer than ten suspected hoodlums have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the attack on the Kogi State House of Assembly, just as the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris, has invited the Speaker, Kogi State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Prince Matthew Kolawole and two others to Abuja over the invasion.