Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. A former Governor of Benue State, Gabriel Suswam, has been arrested by the Department of State Services, DSS. The ex-governor was arrested over items recovered including cars from one of his buildings in Abuja. DSS in a statement by its spokesman, Tony Opuiyo on Sunday, said the search of the building at 44, Aguiyi Ironsi Way, Maitama, Abuja, led to the discovery of keys of 45 exotic cars, 21 Certificates of Occupancy, arms and ammunition.
2. Four persons, including a soldier, were killed on Sunday after a grenade exploded at Beri market in Mariga local government area of Niger state. Eight persons were equally injured in the incident. Reports says the deceased soldier, Mohammed Tanko, a private who was on a military approved pass did not handle the grenade well, leading to its explosion.
3. The Federal Government will employ an additional 350,000 graduates this year.
They will secure the employment under the N-Power Volunteer Corps, a component of the government’s Social Investment Programmes. Senior Special Assistant to the Acting President on Media Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, made this disclosure on Sunday.
4. The Standards Organisation of Nigeria (Son) has arrested two Chinese businessmen, Taolung Shen and Xu Jing Yau, for dealing in substandard tyres worth over N5bn in the country. The suspects were paraded following their arrest, and the sealing of their warehouse where they had been imitating different brand names.
5. A former governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, Umar Tata, has said that some Muslim clerics are claiming that Buhari was poisoned by some persons, hence the reason for his treatment abroad. Tata made the allegation in an open letter to the Department of State Services, DSS, where he also alleged that the clerics in Northern Nigeria had planned to use the claim to destabilise Nigeria.
6. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has hailed President Muhammadu Buhari’s government, saying the president had not disappointed him since he assumed office in 2015. He said PMB had delivered in his core areas of strength which include anti-corruption and war against insurgency. Obasanjo, also praised God for all the favours he had done to him.
7. The two Germans kidnapped in Kaduna State have been released. Report says they were rescued by a team of police sent to the state by the IG. No ransom was paid to secure their release.
8. The presidency has insisted that all the achievements of Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo were with the approval of President Muhammadu Buhari. The Personal Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Social Media, Lauretta Onochie, says President Muhammadu Buhari and his Vice, Yemi Osinbajo consult each other before taking decisions. She was reacting to a statement credited to the Publisher of Ovation Magazine, Dele Momodu, who said ‘’Osinbajo is doing everything Buhari has failed to do.’’
9. The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, has asked the Court of Appeal, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to jail factional leader, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, and some of his loyalists for contempt of court. Sheriff also listed Senator Ben Obi (secretary), Mr. Dayo Adeyeye(publicity secretary), Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, among those who have disobeyed court order.
10. President Muhammadu Buhari has scrapped the Tertiary Education Trust Fund’s special intervention funds for 2017 allocated to tertiary institutions across the country. This disclosure was made by Abdullahi Baffa, TETFund Executive Secretary, in a chat with newsmen in Abuja.