Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The coalition of Arewa youths on Thursday announced withdrawal of the quit notice it issued against the Igbo living in northern Nigeria. Spokesman for the coalition, Abdulaziz Sulaiman said the withdrawal was as a result of series of consultations and pressure from different groups. He was particular about the Northern Governors interventions through their chairman and Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima as well as Northern traditional rulers, the Director-General of the DSS and some officials of the Presidency.
2. Ebonyi state Governor, David Umahi, has accused his counterpart in Lagos State, Governor Ambode of “illegally imprisoning’ over 180 Ebonyians allegedly caught hawking in the streets of Lagos. Umahi said this while addressing a delegation of indigenes of the state living in Anambra state at the government house, Abakaliki. He expressed dismay that 180 Ebonyians were charged and convicted under a law on hawking that was promulgated after they were arrested.
3. President Muhammadu Buhari,Thursday signed nine international agreements that will strengthen the anti-corruption war, stabilize the economy and improve the security situation in the country. The agreement which covers Anti-Corruption, Tax Admin and Intellectual Property Protection among others was signed between Buhari and other entities at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
4. Report has it that some Vice-Chancellors and the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU have rejected the new admission cut-off mark at 120 for universities and 100 for polytechnics, monotechnics and colleges of education. ASUU said the action was in line with the dream of the present government to destroy public universities in the country.
5. A former Minister of Aviation, Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode, has called on elder statesmen across the country to prevail on President Muhammadu Buhari to resign from office and attend to his health, arguing that the strong and fearless Buhari Nigerians used to know would never be the same again. He said the Buhari that Nigerians used to know couldn’t have been chased away from his office by mere rats.
6. The Appeal Court in Abuja, Thursday upheld the judgment of the Rivers State National and State Elections Petitions Tribunal, which sacked the Peoples Democratic Party senator representing Rivers East in the Senate, George Sekibo. Delivering the lead judgment in the appeal by Sekibo challenging the tribunal’s judgment, Justice Adamu Jauro, held that the petition filed by the sacked senator lacked merit.
7. A Nigerian Air Force Trainer Aircraft, Thursday crashed at the permanent site of the Nigerian defence Academy in Kaduna. The trainer aircraft with a single pilot on board reportedly crashed at about 4:25 pm of Thursday while on a mission A statement by Air Force spokesman, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya said one of the NAF’s experienced instructor pilots was the only one in the aircraft. He lost his life.
8. Former Oyo governor, Rasheed Ladoja, who had since defected to the Accord Party may be on his way back to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Ladoja, along with Mr Seyi Makinde, a chieftain of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in the state, assured the party of their willingness to return on Thursday in Ibadan, when Sen. Ahmed Makarfi, Chairman of the PDP National Caretaker Committee, visited the Oyo capital. But he, however, demanded that amnesty be granted to him and his followers.
9. A Chief Magistrate court in Port Harcourt has ordered that Investigative Police Officer, IPO, Sergeant Johnbosco Okoroinze who allegedly aided the escape of Ifeanyi Dike, the twenty three year old child-killer be remanded in the Port Harcourt Prison. Chief Magistrate, Andrew Jaja said the crime committed by the Sergeant was punishable by life sentence. The officer had earlier been dismissed from the force.
10. Real Madrid superstar and Portuguese captain, Cristiano Ronaldo has been named UEFA Player of the Season for 2016-2017. Ronaldo was adjudged winner on Thursday. The player who was in was in superb form last season is currently facing a local ban for pushing a referee.