Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo on Thursday in Ibadan described Nigerian lawmakers as “bunch of unarmed robbers.” Obasanjo said the current legislators were one of the highest paid lawmakers in the world, despite the fact that an estimated 75 percent of Nigerians’ populace live in poverty. The former president , while speaking at the book presentation of Prof. Mark Nwagwu entitled: “I am Kagara, I Weave the Sands of Sahara” at the University of Ibadan, insisted that he would continue to criticise the lawmakers because they consume a huge percentage of the nation’s overhead cost.
2. Lere Olayinka, media assistant to Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose has described the attack on the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, as a big lie. He said the false alarm was made up to draw Nigeria’s sympathy for EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu who is supposed to be kicked out of office.
3. The Department of State Services (DSS) unsuccessfully attempted to arrest Reno Omokri, former aide to Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport. The publisher, who confirmed the development said he had sent a consignment of the book, “Facts Versus Fiction”, to Nigeria for sales but when the distributor was questioned by both customs and the DSS, thinking he was Omokri.
4. The Nigeria immigration service (NIS) has disclosed that it had begun the arrest of suspected recruitment fraudsters and senior officers in the service involved in job racketeering. According to the NIS, those arrested included senior officers. It was disclosed that an Assistant Comptroller is currently facing disciplinary action for allegedly defrauding innocent citizens, including lecturers and family members in Jos.
5. Efforts by the Federal Government’s to make the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, to call off its nationwide strike failed on Thursday. Report says a meeting with ASUU in Abuja, ended in a deadlock as the union refused calling off the strike after both parties failed to agree on some issues.
6. The Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo on Thursday pronounced those promoting hate speeches across the country as terrorists. Osinbajo, while speaking at the National Security Summit organised by the National Economic Council at the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja said the intimidation of a population by words was an act of terrorism, hence the Federal Government would take the matter seriously going forward.
7. The abduction of more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok, Borno State by Boko Haram has been revealed to be the accidental outcome of a failed robbery operation by the insurgents who were in the school to steal machineries for building. The girls in a secret diary revealed that when the insurgents could not get what they wanted, they decided to either kill them or kidnap them. The latter became their last option and the girls were taken.
8. Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Yakubu Dogara, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari’s health has improved tremendously. The Speaker who visited the President alongside Saraki at the Abuja House in London on Thursday urged Nigerians to keep praying for the President to safely return to the country.
9. The Nigerian government on Thursday formally handed over the Presidential Lodge, Marina, to Lagos State Government. Permanent Secretary, State House, Abuja, Jalal Arabi, led a federal government delegation to hand over the edifice built to commemorate the nation’s Independence in 1960 to the State Government.
10. Zinedine Zidane, Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte are among the names on the shortlist for the Best FIFA Men’s Coach award for 2017. Other names include Massimiliano Allegri (Juventus), Carlo Ancelotti (Bayern Munich) Luis Enrique ( Barcelona) Pep Guardiola (Manchester City), Leonardo Jardim (Monaco), Joachim Low (Germany), Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham), Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid).
Check these Out
- 10 Best Ways to Make Money on The Internet
- 5 Reasons You Should Always Check Your Insurance
- 6 Ways to Earn Cash with Fiverr at Home