Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Naira on Friday sustained its gains against the dollar as liquidity boost by the Central Bank of Nigeria, forcing a crash in the price of the dollar. The Nigerian currency exchanged for N460 to a dollar at the parallel market, gaining 40 points from N500 it recorded on Thursday.
2. Nigerian Air Force (NAF) on Friday struck Boko Haram terrorists location at Tagoshe/Mandara Mountain general area, about 10km Southwest of Gwoza in Northern Borno. Air Force spokesman, Group Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa, confirmed the development. He said intelligence report by Sister surface forces had it that remnants of fleeing BHTs were gathered at the location, hence the bombardment of that very location.
3. The leadership crisis rocking the Assemblies of God Church came to an end on Friday. This is as the Supreme Court in a unanimous judgement by five Justices, resolved all the issues in favour of the General Council of the Church. With this judgement, Rev. Dr. Chidi Okoroafor has now been confirmed as the authentic General Superintendent of the Church.
4. The Federal High Court in Lagos, has granted Nollywood producer, Seun Egbegbe and one Mr. Oyekan Ayomide bail in the sum of N5million. Both men were arrested for defrauding some Bureau De Change operatives of over N40.647million. Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo who presided over the case, ruled that Egbegbe should be granted bail once he meets the requirements.
5. The management of the Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Niger State has confirmed the story of its lecturer who was caught while trying to sleep with a female student. The lecturer, whose identity was given as I G Yusuf was said to have been threatening to fail the victim if she failed to have sex with him. The lady, however, set him up after some male students invaded the scene of the crime.
6. The Inspector-General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris, has said that the force will henceforth recruit no fewer than 10,000 personnel annually to enhance its operations. Idris disclosed this in Sokoto on Friday when addressing officers and men of Zone 10 of the force.
7. Report says Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, executed the spokesman for the sect, Tasiu who is also known as Abu Zinnira. Shekau accused Tasiu and another senior commander, Baba Ammar, of plotting to oust him from Boko Haram leadership. According to Shekau, the duo had been sending fighters out on illegal raids, spreading rumours among his lieutenants that he intended to kill them and portraying him as unfit to lead.
8. Rotimi Akeredolu of the All Progressives Congress, APC, was on Friday sworn-in as the governor of Ondo State. Akeredolu, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, took his oath of office at exactly 11:34am on Friday. This was as many governors, including opposition Ayodele Fayose attended the inauguration. Also in attendance were Bola Tinubu, Oyegun and Senate President, Bukola Saraki.
9. The Federal Government has appointed General Manager for the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria. Three new Directors were also appointed. The newly appointed Directors are Group Captain U.S.A. Sadiq, appointed as Director of Security Services; Captain Rabiu Hamisu Yadudu, appointed as Director of Airport Operations; Engr. Salisu Nura Daura, appointed as Director of Maintenance and Engineering; and Aniefiok Umoh, appointed as General Manager, Finance.
10. Popular movie producer based in the North, Ibrahim Bauni, is dead.
He died on Friday after a brief illness. Report says Bauni had produced films like ‘Kalubale’, ‘Harafin So’, ‘Rumaisa’, ‘Sarauniya’, among others before his death.